To much protein?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
Weaned my calves about 3wks ago. 35 calves total, sorted the smallest 7 off the bigger ones, can't afford to roll the feed to them like I want. So I plan to feed the smaller 7 all they will eat to hopefully help get them more uniform in 60ish days. Question being I also put a protein tub in with them. Can they get to much protein? The tub is an 18% all natural 4%fat. Feed is a 3way mix corn, ddg, soybean meal eat 50lb for 7calves. Some short Bermuda in the field for them to eat

I put out Smart Lick 30% tubs for the entire herd, including the calves. That said, we're in a severe drought and the "grass" is nothing but filler so we're also putting out brome bales and supplementing with 20% cubes/range nuggets every other day. If you're concerned or see loose stool, put out a bale of junk hay - they know when to regulate.

Be careful overfeeding protein to small calves. Do you have a nutritionist in your area that could run a ration for you or at least figure how much protein they are actually getting? Remember, protein makes them strong, energy makes them fat. I would want them to have a balance, especially small calves. Dirty behinds will show they have acidosis and that's counterproductive to growth. It's pretty easy to over feed protein and it's expensive to do so.
Good luck!

Edited to add, be sure to feed them a loose mineral.

Be careful overfeeding protein to small calves. Do you have a nutritionist in your area that could run a ration for you or at least figure how much protein they are actually getting? Remember, protein makes them strong, energy makes them fat. I would want them to have a balance, especially small calves. Dirty behinds will show they have acidosis and that's counterproductive to growth. It's pretty easy to over feed protein and it's expensive to do so.
Good luck!

Edited to add, be sure to feed them a loose mineral.
These protein tubs have mineral in them

These protein tubs have mineral in them.

Most do. But if it isn't mixed well at the plant (and some isn't), the mineral can be in pockets.
Notice I said 'loose mineral'. Our customers all put out loose mineral beside the tubs. They won't eat much, but it's there if needed. Just good insurance.
Good luck.

Latest posts