To mow or to pasture...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
... that is the question!

Five acre yard, at the house, this is not at the farm. Basic clover and grasses, not been sprayed with anything in about 3 years.

I was thinking about taking about 2.5 acres, fence it in and throw 2 yearlings and 1 7mo old animal out there that will be taken to fat, and leave them until fall. Run a hose for water, and an extension cord for electric.

No existing fence. The surrounding fields are all in CRP by other land owners.

Has to be mowed at least every 4 days, and right now with a 6' mower deck this portion takes at least 3 hours each time and probably 2 gals diesel.

I say fence and let them eat! My mom who lives with us HATES the idea.

I think I will get the return out of time and money saved in no more than 2 years. I would see how 3 can keep up with it, and then next summer add 1 or 2 if need be.

Opinions? What would you do?

Michele

I just turned some cows in the yard at the ranch. couple acres, lots of lush grass. 19 pairs and bull gorged all weekend on it. I fence off the garden and fruit trees and they eat the rest weeds and all.
I would let the cattle have it. With the price of feed, grass is to valuable to mow.

thats a no brainer id fence it off.an put 3 or 4hd in there to keep it grazed down.an save the gas an time it takes to mow.what about the other 2.5acs.

Fence it and run something on it. It will prevent you from throwing fuel and time away. Don't forget a loading alley to get them back in the trailer. You can do that with panels if need be.

My wife hated the idea of turning the oxen in the yard until she realized she didn;t have to mow it. Ran the brush hog over it set real low when we pulled them off and it spread and broke up the residue. Grew even better the next year.

bigbull338":3cgms9wd said:
thats a no brainer id fence it off.

:nod: :nod: I agree. Why waste the grass to a mower? Grass is feed and gas is gold. Utilize the grass and save the gas.

I've been sorely tempted to have our "yard" grazed by a few that "accidently" escaped. However, I think my husband would suspect something if it happened on a weekly basis. ;-) (our 'yard' isn't 5 acres either)

Katherine

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off my rocker.

But come on, who needs a 5 acre yard, that is plain crazy!

When my mom started mowing the whole 5 acres, I said I will never help with the mowing again until you stop that non-sense. And, I haven't. Hubby has given in a few times :roll:

Mom likes to mow but COME ON ALREADY!

Then last summer when gas prices really started creeping, I told her I wasn't going to buy diesel for the tractor, and I wasn't going to make any repairs if she continued to mow that back part. Well she bought the diesel and luck was on her side that nothing has broken down.

Last weekend, we put up the fence, and it is not a temporary thing :D 3-wire hi-tensile. We don't have the small corral built yet for loading purposes, but we have it planned out. I will take pic's so you can see! The animals are loving it!

Makes me happy, to save fuel, time, and it goes to good use!

Michele

Dun that is exactly what we planned to do after they left in the fall. Take the brush hog to it that is.

Only problem I see with your plan is not fencing in about 4 acres of the yard. :D

mitch2":21focs47 said:
Opinions? What would you do?

Michele

Depending on the type of grass, and how tall it was I might mow once more before turning the cattle in - some types of grass tend to get less palatable when they get tall, and cattle don't like to eat them - but I would definitely turn the cattle in!

I've reduced my yard size this past year. If your mom doesn't like the ideal of livestock so close to the house, let the grases grow out, and them mow, rake, and bale the hay. That's what I'm doing around my outbuilding clear out back where I can't see from the house. ;-)

With 2.5 A and just 3 head in it they will eat the best and leave the rest. It will not look good nor be fully used.

Fence the 2.5 a then subdivide the interior with electric wire and move it every day or couple days and they will keep it down to about 2-3" height and use it better. You can advance the wire when you have time and maybe not even use a back wire.

sounds like a plan. You will probably want to run the mower over it lightly when they are moved to keep some weeds down (and Mom happy) but won't take much hp or fuel.

You will want to move the water tank enough so as not to have a mud hole around it. Put a garden hose to a float valve or just fill it daily. I like a smaller tank so it is easier to drain and clean. Make sure it has a drain valve on the bottom to be easier to drain. Can get scummy in the summer with just three head drinking.

Good luck.

msscamp":3s30vjbz said:
SRBeef":3s30vjbz said:
Put a garden hose to a float valve or just fill it daily.

How is this done? Thanks!

Take some good quality garden hose and run it to a Ritchie stock tank float valve as shown at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ritchiefount.com/accessories.html

and it will keep a galvanized tank full with water without you hauling it. The blue box shown in the picture clamps to the side of a tank with thumbscrews and has a float in it which lets water from the hose into the tank when the level drops. The hose screws into the fitting on the end. Just watch the hose is routed so cattle can't step on the hose.

Usually tanks are placed along a fence line and the hose routed under the fence. You also want to make sure the tank is about level - block up one side or the other of the tank so the water is not running over or near the top edge before the valve shuts off the flow or you will have a mud hole.

There are other manufacturers of these float valves. Check with your local hardware or feed/supply store. The Ritchie works well and really shuts off. cheaper ones can drip and waste water. Good luck.

SRBeef, thank you very much! I've been trying to figure out how to put a float on 2 tanks, now I know how. :D

You said your house isnt surrounded by the farm. What is it surrounded by? if all that is serperating you from other neighbors is 5 acres and they arent use to cattle on their property then I'd take their reactions into thought.

I'd definitely fence.

How about running a few sheep with the cows - rack of lamb is always good :nod:
The sheep will eat the forbs the cattle won't. Parasites don't cross either. Get hair sheep if you don't want to fool with wool. Your pasture will turn into the garden of eden with all that fertilizer and lack of weeds.

Then you have a mob. You mother will love it :cry2:

it all makes sense to me...I keep a couple of saddle horses and whatever mare has a foal at side in the yard for mowing...wife doesn't like messing with the gates...but she likes mowing less. ;-)

Latest posts