To move or not to move???????

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My wife and I are about to move from N Texas to either Oklahoma or Kansas depending on which job we take. My question is this: if I take the position in Kansas would I be better off to move my cows with me or sell what I have and buy replacements when I get to Kansas? I met with my accountant and he said for tax reasons I would be better off to haul them to Kansas. I am no accounting wiz, but this doesn't make since to me. Any advice would be appreciated. I a few different breeds of cows in a small herd; Angus, Hereford, Beefmaster and a few Brahma crosses.
I am going to keep my two bulls. Thanks

Where at in Kansas? I would sell off all the brahman influence while you are still somewhere where you can get a decent price for them. What are your bulls? Breed, how old? Hereford and Angus will work great up here in Kansas but that ear from your other stuff with kill you come auction time. It may even hurt your English cattle due to the ear coming from the same place and being sold in the same pen.

We have relocated severl (way too many) times, and besides the monetary considerations you need to take a look at a couple of other things. What will be the forage base where you are going to and what is it where you are coming from? In many cases this may not make much difference, but if you're movin to a fescue area from a none fescue area you're probably begging trouble to move your animals, including the bulls. Get them collected if you really wish to continue using them, but sell them instead of moving them. Animals raised and acclimated to fescue have enough problems with the toxicity. Generally, those that aren't acclimated to it will really suffer.
If you have some unique genetics that would be hard to reproduce, purchase, generate, you may want to consider bringing a few of the very superior cows, otherwise, you can purchase animals in your new area and not have the burden of trying to get your facilities established quickly. It's also one less headache during a period that is about the most stressfull you can undergo excluding serious disease or death.
We've done it both ways, wish we would have sold out before moving everytime.
I concur that getting rid of the eared cattle before hauling them to KS is a good idea.

dun

K Bar G":2u55dbv4 said:
My wife and I are about to move from N Texas to either Oklahoma or Kansas depending on which job we take. My question is this: if I take the position in Kansas would I be better off to move my cows with me or sell what I have and buy replacements when I get to Kansas? I met with my accountant and he said for tax reasons I would be better off to haul them to Kansas. I am no accounting wiz, but this doesn't make since to me. Any advice would be appreciated. I a few different breeds of cows in a small herd; Angus, Hereford, Beefmaster and a few Brahma crosses.

We are looking at the Lawrence area. I have not been there yet and do not know the types of grass. Anyone that could give me some ideas would be appreciated.

The two bulls are one Angus and one Polled Hereford. They are both very good bulls so I would hate to leave them behind. I am considering buying replacement cows or possibly heifers when we get moved.

Good grass in those parts. For the most part, if it's native it will most likly be the four Horsemen ( Big Blue, Little Blue, Indian Grass, and I can't remember the last at the moment) if it's go-back or brome you will deffinately need to borrow a grass drill. The local ASCS office should be able to help you in locating it if not have programs that include pasture improvement that would help you cross fence and reseed the land if necessary. Lots of if, and, or, buts. Best of Luck

Jake

Oh yeah if you really like your bulls bring them if nothing else even if you just use them for a year or two you can use them on either your old cows or boughten ones and then keep a quality bull calf out of them if they are having trouble adjusting.

dun":87yvl9r4 said:
We have relocated severl (way too many) times, and besides the monetary considerations you need to take a look at a couple of other things. What will be the forage base where you are going to and what is it where you are coming from? In many cases this may not make much difference, but if you're movin to a fescue area from a none fescue area you're probably begging trouble to move your animals, including the bulls. Get them collected if you really wish to continue using them, but sell them instead of moving them. Animals raised and acclimated to fescue have enough problems with the toxicity. Generally, those that aren't acclimated to it will really suffer.
If you have some unique genetics that would be hard to reproduce, purchase, generate, you may want to consider bringing a few of the very superior cows, otherwise, you can purchase animals in your new area and not have the burden of trying to get your facilities established quickly. It's also one less headache during a period that is about the most stressfull you can undergo excluding serious disease or death.
I concur that getting rid of the eared cattle before hauling them to KS is a good idea.

dun

K Bar G":87yvl9r4 said:

Why would you collect your own bulls when you can get semen from hundreds of great bulls at a lower cost. Collecting a bull for a few straws isn't gonna be worth the cost. This is to DUN

I wouldn't. But if he felt they where worth hauling, it would have been easier to have them collected. It was just included as an option to moving them.

dun

Anonymous":3mybmtwu said:
dun":3mybmtwu said:

dun

K Bar G":3mybmtwu said:

Why would you collect your own bulls when you can get semen from hundreds of great bulls at a lower cost. Collecting a bull for a few straws isn't gonna be worth the cost. This is to DUN

That's a tough one! 12 years ago we moved from northern Illinois to Texas and shipped 100 head. In hindsight, we would have culled really deep, and brought the top 10% of the herd.

There's the climate change if you go to Kansas to consider. The continental cows we brought spent all summer standing in the stock tanks here in Texas. And with the price of cattle right now, if you sell them high, you can take the time to get your new place all set up, and replace the cows when the prices go down again. (Which we all know is just a matter of time)