To keep or sell, thats the question

Help Support CattleToday:

I try not to sell in October or November. Around here the best price is usually around Labor Day. The market is flooded during October and the order buyers fill enough orders to last well into November. Once the turkey season passes the shift is back to beef for the Christmas holidays. The second week in December is usually the best price here since Labor Day sales. Then things slow down because of many sale barns closing during the holidays, plus the weather can be unpredictable that time of year.

bigbull338":1fm5wga2 said:
we wont sell cattle in dec because around here thats when the prices back off till mid jan.

Why does the price seem to rise during the first couple weeks of January, rather than just jump up after New Years Day?

Nearly every year, here, the best feeder market of the year is the first sale in january---unless weather disrupts it and that is always a possibility. Slaughter cows generally start a slow rise sometime in January, but June is when they normally top out after a November low. This year, the slaughter market started down a little, then came back up due to lack of numbers. October is a terrible month to sell feeders due to sickness from the temperature swings. This year, it started mid Sept. Labor Day is usually a real good time to sell feeders. Your feeders and slaughter cattle will sell well in late June and July, and they will weigh heavy with the dry grass. On the other hand, the market is high right now and like an old farmer used to say "A high market means nothing unless you sell something"

denvermartinfarms":3ahqz5kq said:
stocky":3ahqz5kq said:
"A high market means nothing unless you sell something"
That's right! I think I've told you before it seems I never get to really hit it at the record highs.
I sell many weeks so you would think I would finally hit the high but I seem to miss the one time when everything somes toghther and I should be selling.

kenny thomas":1vy9dzm3 said:
denvermartinfarms":1vy9dzm3 said:
stocky":1vy9dzm3 said:
"A high market means nothing unless you sell something"
That's right! I think I've told you before it seems I never get to really hit it at the record highs.
I sell many weeks so you would think I would finally hit the high but I seem to miss the one time when everything somes toghther and I should be selling.
Right, I'm the same way, selling very often, but still yet at the really high points I don't get to take full advantage.

Seems like the highest week is the week I need to buy a lot of calves. I need 25 heifers tomorrow and the weather is terrible so the numbers will be down and the price may be higher.

kenny thomas":2urkq6k6 said:
Seems like the highest week is the week I need to buy a lot of calves. I need 25 heifers tomorrow and the weather is terrible so the numbers will be down and the price may be higher.
How many do you run on a average week?

kenny thomas":1nwl0lzh said:
The market here is very small. 300 is about average.
Boy, that is small. Is your market cheaper than the nearest bigger sales?

Around here the few sales that small are genrally cheaper, and only get business from people to save having to haul to a better sale and traders.