to keep or not to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
need the pros and cons to a strictly AI herd, we currently have 2 bulls, but we are a small operation of registered herefords. Space and handleablity? is a definite consideration for keeping the bulls. I'm on the fence at this time not knowing for sure what would be best to do. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. these are show animals!

lilcowgirl":2kkt8gt5 said:
need the pros and cons to a strictly AI herd, we currently have 2 bulls, but we are a small operation of registered herefords. Space and handleablity? is a definite consideration for keeping the bulls. I'm on the fence at this time not knowing for sure what would be best to do. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. these are show animals!

I would encourage you to go total AI if you possibly can. We raise Angus, but the benefits of total AI will be the same in any breed. You can match the strengths of a bull to the weakness of the individual cow. You should have access to the best genetics in the breed. You don't have to mess with a bull year 'round. Good luck....

If you have the time and are willing to make the commitment that total AI requires, go the AI route. We've been 100% AI for over 20 years until physical problems made it difficult breeding cows.
There is no need to keep a cleanup bull, no real need for a true Gomer bull, a horny steer or just hot cows will do the job of demonstrating who is in heat.
You can experiment with bulls to see just how well it will knick with a particular cow, etc.

dun

lilcowgirl":1df01u04 said:

Pros:

You can hand select each animals strengths/weaknesses to a bull that will reinforce the strengths, improve the weaknesses.

Much, much wider gene pool to select from.

You can breed for specific things that will improve your herd.

No bulls to feed/deal with/maintain during the off-breeding season.

Cons:

Much more time consumptive because of the need to check regularly for standing heat - there are many devices available to help with this, but they will all fail to do their job at one point or another, trust me on this - and also because of the actual time required to AI, and re-AI because they will not all settle on the first go round.

Latest posts