To keep or not to keep??

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, that is the question. For background info, we are commercial and run a British based herd, with Angus, Hereford and Shorthorn in the mix, our cows average about 1200#. Now to the gist of the matter, 2 of our best heifers don't quite fit that image.

Heifer #1
77calf.jpg

She is out of one of our consistently best cows. Mama always has one of the top 10 calves in the herd. Mama is Shorthorn x and daddy was a registered Hereford. But baby looks a lot like a Simm x. BW 100, born on Mar 25 and I expect her to weigh in over 600 when we weigh at the end of Sept. She was born unassisted, and we haven't done anything else to her other than vaccinate at branding.

Now for heifer #2.
106calfb.jpg

She is out of a cow that we purchased last fall. Mama is a Shorthorn x cow, and daddy was Maine, which is where the problem is. Bw 113, and again I expect the WW to be over 600 at the end of Sept. She was born on Mar 31, unassisted, and again other than vaccinations at branding she hasn't been touched. Mama is doing quite a job on this one and is maintaining her body weight quite well, in fact she is fat!

Now, for the BW's, I am really not too concerned with them, other than the one (113) could indicate that she could become a pretty darn big cow. Our average BW this spring was 90 on the heifers, 97 on the steers with a total average of 92.

As to the pictures, they were both taken a couple of months ago, and I haven't had a chance to update them.

#1 looks like a nice heifer. She should grow into a good cow.

#2 doesn't appear to be gaining as fast. With only 6 days between them, she should be about the same wieght as the first one. May be the way I'm looking at the pic though. Good luck.

I like the way #1 is put together better. You know her history and she looks like she'd hustle. I'd probably keep her. I don't think I'd keep #2. I just don't care for her type.Z

Just going by your text, not the photo's, I think you are pretty darn convinced they both may be replacement material. Why not give em both a chance?

Looking at the photo's there is just something special about that black girl, something that says easy keeping. You bought her momma for a reason, and she is raising this fine calf on I am assuming nothing special pasture.

I think #2 could end up being the better cow.

Randi,

I've always admitted that I know absolutely nothing about conformation, but I have to say...#2 has that "I'm all that, and don't you forget it" look about her.

It's that "look" that I keep an eye out for at the sale barn when I'm buying baby calves...and so far, knock on wood, it's served me well. Problem is, not many come thru with that look. :(

Alice

warpaint":2za6bf3z said:
#1 looks like a nice heifer. She should grow into a good cow.

#2 doesn't appear to be gaining as fast. With only 6 days between them, she should be about the same wieght as the first one. May be the way I'm looking at the pic though. Good luck.

The 2 pics could have a bit of time between them, with the one of the black calf being taken earlier. Not sure on the exact time frame. Also, I realize that the black is not standing as well as she could, she is stretching in the picture. Next time we get out to the pastures (one of them is 2 hours away) I will get some newer pics ;-)

AngusLimoX":1vjdhmcd said:
Just going by your text, not the photo's, I think you are pretty darn convinced they both may be replacement material. Why not give em both a chance?

Looking at the photo's there is just something special about that black girl, something that says easy keeping. You bought her momma for a reason, and she is raising this fine calf on I am assuming nothing special pasture.

I think #2 could end up being the better cow.

I am actually. They just don't quite fit in, but I don't know if that is a good enough reason to sell them or not. The black is pretty special, and she has that sweetheart attitude, she isn't afraid of us and the only time she gets her head up is just out of curiosity and she wants to see what is going on better. That is another reason that I am kinda stuck on her. As for the reason we bought mama, "the price was right" we bought them in the off season (October) and we bought 6 of them for cull price, between $300 and $500. But her mama is a pretty darn nice looking and easy keeping cow.

MillIronQH":29zvs69t said:
I like the way #1 is put together better. You know her history and she looks like she'd hustle. I'd probably keep her. I don't think I'd keep #2. I just don't care for her type.Z

#1 is a good heifer, and as you say we do know the history. As for #2 a better picture would sure help. Here are a couple more pics. This exaggerates the difference in photo dates, but at least the black calf isn't stretching here.

106_104calves.jpg

77calf1.jpg

I would think #2 would have the potential to get much bigger than what you're used to, but if you like her that much, give her a try and see how she turns out. Personally, I would keep #1, too, since she is out of one of your better cows. If one or neither of them turn out, then it's your fault for listening to an old fool like me. ;-)

VanC":2qbk40y9 said:
I would think #2 would have the potential to get much bigger than what you're used to, but if you like her that much, give her a try and see how she turns out. Personally, I would keep #1, too, since she is out of one of your better cows. If one or neither of them turn out, then it's your fault for listening to an old fool like me. ;-)

Thanks, you are talking the way we are thinking, I was just curious what other people would do. Plus #1's mama is 7 years old this year, so there may not be too many more heifers out of her. You never know she could just decide to throw bulls from now on ;-)