To introduce a different breed

Help Support CattleToday:

As they say ,knock the horns off ,wipe his butt,and chunk him on a plate

Where are you located, Mongo? A solid black like that should bring a premium. You must be in an area where no one has Criolo -type cattle. Is this one the son of your cow?
We're about an hour northeast of Austin, Texas. There aren't many horned cattle around here. But you'd think someone would want him for pasture art if nothing else. This boy is not the son of our cow.

He's a pretty plain looking black bull so for a long horn he's not appealing since they want a pasture ornament (which includes color). I'd steer him and finish him out with your new beef steer. In 90-120 days sell him as grain fed beef on the rail.

Or keep him and sell the other bull (since he's related to your cow).

I understand why you want to try to sell him. I would NOT take the advice of castrating him and finishing him out. Way too much stress on a full grown bull. You do have the option of just butchering him for hamburg. Not ideal in your realm of him being a pet, but you would get more than $500 worth out of him.

We're about an hour northeast of Austin, Texas. There aren't many horned cattle around here. But you'd think someone would want him for pasture art if nothing else. This boy is not the son of our cow.
What is your zipcode? I am working on a horse trade with some one close to College Station. If I carry a horse out there and bring one back, I will come get him. Do you have a good place to load? 24' gooseneck. I will put the horse in front and load him in the back.

What is your zipcode? I am working on a horse trade with some one close to College Station. If I carry a horse out there and bring one back, I will come get him. Do you have a good place to load? 24' gooseneck. I will put the horse in front and load him in the back.
Might be pretty close but It's 106 miles (by road) from Austin to Bryan/College Station about 2 hrs away depending on traffic.

Might be pretty close but It's 106 miles (by road) from Austin to Bryan/College Station about 2 hrs away depending on traffic.
Thanks, Grey. It is right at 900 miles to where I'd pick up the horse....a little sw of College Station, so another 100 miles wouldn't be that too bad. That round trip will cost me about $600 in fuel, I am trading my horse for another one plus $1500. I will just go ahead and tell you, @Mongo1 . I got a home for the bull at $1000 if I get him here. It's gonna be about 15 hours on the road each way. Not getting rich spending 2 days on the road for a net $1400, but ain't too bad. The man that bought our Corriente herd and my 5 Fla Scrub/Piney woods cows really wants this bull, or one like him. He did what we always did, bred them to some Brangus bulls, and borrowed one of our Corr bulls for clean-up. But he likes the look of this bull and is willing to gamble that he is homozygous for black. Just waiting to hear back on the horse trade. I told him I wouldn't trade for even $1499.

Thanks, Grey. It is right at 900 miles to where I'd pick up the horse....a little sw of College Station, so another 100 miles wouldn't be that too bad. That round trip will cost me about $600 in fuel, I am trading my horse for another one plus $1500. I will just go ahead and tell you, @Mongo1 . I got a home for the bull at $1000 if I get him here. It's gonna be about 15 hours on the road each way. Not getting rich spending 2 days on the road for a net $1400, but ain't too bad. The man that bought our Corriente herd and my 5 Fla Scrub/Piney woods cows really wants this bull, or one like him. He did what we always did, bred them to some Brangus bulls, and borrowed one of our Corr bulls for clean-up. But he likes the look of this bull and is willing to gamble that he is homozygous for black. Just waiting to hear back on the horse trade. I told him I wouldn't trade for even $1499.

Wait....you're still making a profit on this customer??? I figured by now you would have set yourself up as a non-profit organization.

Hi Greybeard. Our zip is 76577. Depending on your route, we wouldn't be very far out of the way. Yes, we have a pen and chute for loading.

Hi Greybeard. Our zip is 76577. Depending on your route, we wouldn't be very far out of the way. Yes, we have a pen and chute for loading.
Ok, that's about 70 miles from where I swap the horses. The dude is supposed to send the money for the difference, then I am headed west. I will message you when and if I get it, and we can work out details then.

We have 3 Longhorns that have been together for a couple of years, but would like to buy a beef calf to feed out and butcher in the fall. Do we need to worry whether the Longhorns will get along with the newcomer?
I noticed that when I phased out the LH's and bought a couple angus, they would hang out angus & angus, LH & LH. I had one final LH that was kind of a loner and was not really part of the group. Just my personal observation. No one attacked anyone, but they would segregate.

We have 3 Longhorns that have been together for a couple of years, but would like to buy a beef calf to feed out and butcher in the fall. Do we need to worry whether the Longhorns will get along with the newcomer?
We have 3 older lh in the pasture with 20+ charolais/brangus cows. They push and hook and will get you hurt when they start. Yet to us gentle as dogs

Ok, that's about 70 miles from where I swap the horses. The dude is supposed to send the money for the difference, then I am headed west. I will message you when and if I get it, and we can work out details then.

Warren, there's been a change of plans. I hate to do this, but my husband just received an interesting offer on our bull from a local rancher, which will work better for us and our "boy." I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you, but we'll have to pass on your offer to buy him. Thank you anyway for your interest!

Latest posts