To introduce a different breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongo1

Reaction score
We have 3 Longhorns that have been together for a couple of years, but would like to buy a beef calf to feed out and butcher in the fall. Do we need to worry whether the Longhorns will get along with the newcomer?

We have 3 Longhorns that have been together for a couple of years, but would like to buy a beef calf to feed out and butcher in the fall. Do we need to worry whether the Longhorns will get along with the newcomer?
newcomers "no matter the breed" ,will be tested when they arrive.never fails eventually they find their place in the pecking order ..the problem I'd worry about is their advantage with the horns during that period…

My concern would be to have a separate feeding area or the grain will be gone before the newcomer can get any.

How old are the longhorns? They are a "beef" breed, so have you considered putting one of them in the freezer? Or are they pets?

As stated in prior answers cattle jostle each other to establish a pecking order. Usually nothing serious regardless of size differences, and the new one will establish their comfort zone.

Are your longhorns all cows (female), steers, or what?
Will the newcomer be a steer?
Will newcomer be horned or polled?

As Alacowman said, newcomers will always get tested (or do the testing if they are aggressive enough) and it can appear to be a little brutal, depending who the top of the pecking order already is.

I had more problems in the middle than at the top, as the dominant cow was usually cut and dried and sorted itself out pretty quick, within a day.
Farther down the pecking order tho, a wannabe or 2 would give newcomers heck bullying for as long as newbie would put up with it and if newbie was a weak one, it could go on for as long as it was there or as long as the couple of bullies were still around.

Multiple Bulls.. That's a way different story.

How old are the longhorns? They are a "beef" breed, so have you considered putting one of them in the freezer? Or are they pets?

As stated in prior answers cattle jostle each other to establish a pecking order. Usually nothing serious regardless of size differences, and the new one will establish their comfort zone.
We have 2 - 19 month old bulls, and 1- 4 year old cow who is the dam of one of the bulls. They're more like pets. Our freezer has been full of Longhorn meat in the past, but we're ready to try a more traditional beef breed now.

We have 2 - 19 month old bulls, and 1- 4 year old cow who is the dam of one of the bulls. They're more like pets. Our freezer has been full of Longhorn meat in the past, but we're ready to try a more traditional beef breed now.
Yeah, as Greybeard asked... why two BULLS? That's a bad idea, IMO.

Cut one bull and put the other one in the freezer. At least cut both bulls.

And not to get nit-picky... but what breed on the planet is more "traditional" beef than longhorn? I know what you are trying to say... but that made me laugh.

How are you keeping that bull and its momma from engaging in incestuous acts?!!

Yeah, as Greybeard asked... why two BULLS? That's a bad idea, IMO.

Cut one bull and put the other one in the freezer. At least cut both bulls.

And not to get nit-picky... but what breed on the planet is more "traditional" beef than longhorn? I know what you are trying to say... but that made me laugh.
Lol. You're right about "traditional". I was thinking about what we traditionally bought in the grocery (which is no longer affordable). Also, we've been trying to sell one of the bulls for months and no takers, even at $500. It's time to drop the price again. We already have a Longhorn bull in the freezer and are missing good, tender steaks. Lastly, we are able to separate the newcomer (maybe a steer?) from the Longhorns and it sounds like we'd better keep them separated until the butcher date.
Thanks all for your comments.

Lol. You're right about "traditional". I was thinking about what we traditionally bought in the grocery (which is no longer affordable). Also, we've been trying to sell one of the bulls for months and no takers, even at $500. It's time to drop the price again. We already have a Longhorn bull in the freezer and are missing good, tender steaks. Lastly, we are able to separate the newcomer (maybe a steer?) from the Longhorns and it sounds like we'd better keep them separated until the butcher date.
Thanks all for your comments.

You would be better off hauling the bulls or all the LH to the slaughterhouse. There dang sure worth more in freezer paper than with hide on.

Saw something at the stockyard today I never seen before ..a cow with a horn turned and grown in above her eye socket..then turned and come back upward she looked like she had three horns when she came in ,till she turned around..she brought 80 bucks..

Last edited:

Latest posts