To fertilize or not

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
Weather say heavy rains tonight and tomorrow (4.5 inches) cant decide if I should put down 32 uan now on coastal fields and risk leach/washout or wait and see if Monday might be better. Reading tells me that wet soil and plant residue without rain is recipe for high N volitization. Not sure if that is worse than too much rain. What is too much rain for you coastal growers in central Texas if you were looking to fertilize ahead of a storm system.

Fertilizing is a really stressful deal in central Texas. Rarely is rain a sure thing in one spot. And if it is your likely to get a flood. I usually tend to worry more about no rain than to much. Seems to do me better. Fwiw I've found agrotain to be a very cheap insurance against violation.

Think I may get out first thing Sunday morning and spray what I have, will have to wait till Monday morning for a second tank when the very dealer is open again. Just hope there is some rain left on monday

Fields have some minor flooding this, fertilizer will wait. How's your fields looking this am Tex?

bman4523":772mbw8i said:
Fields have some minor flooding this, fertilizer will wait. How's your fields looking this am Tex?
Just like yesterday except it got about 1.5 inches of slow soaking rain on it. Still have more rain in the forecast for several days but should take off when we get sunshine.

sittin on about 3.5 here, 90% chance of severe storms tonight, we'll see :?