To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize?

Help Support CattleToday:

smoky

Reaction score
I would like (need) to get a final hay cutting on 15 acres. We cut it about 2 weeks ago and should get some rain this week. I was planning on putting 135 lbs of 34-0-0 which translates into about 45 units of nitrogen. I have been told to put 1 unit of nitrogen per day of growth needed. So I figure that would put me about the 1st or 2nd week of October trying to get my final cutting.

This late in the summer, can I expect to put this fertilizer down and see the benefits, assuming adequate moisture, of course? I don't mind spending what I need to, however, I try my best not to throw money away.

Any comments

Thanks,

Smoky

BTW- I have put the required Phosphate and Potash out earlier in the year.

I think its a safe bet. Biggest problem is going to be night temperatures. If it cools off early the the grass will shut off and you might not get as good a cutting as you hoped for. Also, keep a close eye out for armyworms.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have mentioned that I am in Southeast Louisiana so it is typically warm here through October with the occaisional cool front.

Also, army worms usually aren't too bad on bahia grass around here, especially native.

Smoky

I'd give it a shot, smoky, if you think you'll get rain through September.. Here where I live September almost always turns off dry and grass quits growing.

Oops, I assumed you were talking bermuda. Bahia is also more cold tolerant than bermuda so that's in your favor as well.

I have been told to put 1 unit of nitrogen per day of growth needed.

Another day, another lesson. I'd never heard that one before. Could I ask what was your source? I was thinking of putting out some N also on some new Bermuda pastures I put in this year. They came in fine and I have started lightly grazeing them. I read that they should go into winter with about 4 inches of growth on them their first year.

dcara":od3zetkn said:
I have been told to put 1 unit of nitrogen per day of growth needed.

Another day, another lesson. I'd never heard that one before. Could I ask what was your source? I was thinking of putting out some N also on some new Bermuda pastures I put in this year. They came in fine and I have started lightly grazeing them. I read that they should go into winter with about 4 inches of growth on them their first year.

I don't know the source, but I have always been told to figure one unit of nitrogen for each day of expected grazing.

You need apply some potash at the same time. Around 75 to 90 lbs to the acre. This helps the grass store reserves in its root system for next year.