To Feed or Not To Feed Cake Cubes?

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
Question for more experienced ranchers.

Around my area, a 50 pound bag of 20% cubes sells for $12.00. I feed two bags each weekend to a small herd of 18, cows and claves combined, just to keep them tame and coming. I also keep a protein lick tub for them. The question is, do protein cubes add any real nutritional value, especially in the small amount I feed once weekly, or should I instead put that money into buying more quality hay bales? They eat the 2 bags of cubes in about 10 minutes but a 1200# bale lasts them around 4 days.

8 cube bags a month, $96; 1 bale $100.

If they have a lick tub and decent pasture, they probably don't need the cubes, but you said that you're using the cubes to keep the cows tame and coming to you. For that reason, I would suggest keeping feeding the cubes but maybe less, cut it to one bag per weekend just as a treat.

The last part of your question I'm not sure I completely follow, cost wise there's a huge difference between the two options.
Cubes are $96/month
Hay bale is $25/day

Maybe pictures of your cattle and the pasture conditions would help us know what to recommend.
Also, as a general statement I would say that most people are overstocked based on their pasture conditions. Be prepared because the recommendation could be to sell some of your cows. Otherwise, all of your potential profits are going to the feed store.

Do you have a "feeder" for the cubes or do you feed on the ground?
If you feed on the ground, there should be cheaper cubes. Protein is the most expensive feed you can buy. Like mentioned above, you have a protein tub out, that should be sufficient.
If you have a feeder, and you would like to feed them a treat, just buy whole shell corn. It will do them more good than over feeding protein.

Do you have a "feeder" for the cubes or do you feed on the ground?
If you feed on the ground, there should be cheaper cubes. Protein is the most expensive feed you can buy. Like mentioned above, you have a protein tub out, that should be sufficient.
If you have a feeder, and you would like to feed them a treat, just buy whole shell corn. It will do them more good than over feeding protein.
Excellent. I feed on troughs in the barn or corrals. I seldom dump a bag on pasture. I'll look into the whole shell corn. I mostly feed as a treat. The bulk of their nutrition comes from pasture or hay in winter.

If you have standing grass and the cows are in good condition I would continue with what you are doing. Every thing else is going to require more capital and labor and you might, big might, save a couple hundred bucks at best.

In times where there is plenty of grass don't hesitate to feed 1/2 a sack one day and half the next. A good feed bucket is handy to help measure. That's probably the biggest guaranteed savings you will see.

When the pasture is pretty rough like in winter you can kick back up 2 sacks.

@J+ Cattle, I'm taking 5 calves to market next week, so that should alleviate the pressure on hay consumption.

@Brute 23 Standing grass. 🤣🤣🤣 What is that. It's been so long that I've forgotten.

Around here, tsc 50# 20% are $2 cheaper per bag than the local coop. Whole corn is $1 per bag than the tsc cubes. An anomaly, im well aware. Coop used to be way cheaper until everyone went up on prices.
But buying in bulk, eg by the ton, is obviously the most economic choice.
As long as cows are holding condition, i would not change anything.

What is you general area? That will effect the types of feed and what the next couple months are about to look like. Members from that area can give more area specific recommendations.

My guess is you need to find another source of feed like ground feed, wcs, quality hay, etc. If you are going to take lactating cows (cows with calves) through Jan & Feb... at minimum... you will be increasing the amount of what you are feeding now.

So basically... your check book is about to get hit way worse 🤣🤣🤣

What is you general area? That will effect the types of feed and what the next couple months are about to look like. Members from that area can give more area specific recommendations.

My guess is you need to find another source of feed like ground feed, wcs, quality hay, etc. If you are going to take lactating cows (cows with calves) through Jan & Feb... at minimum... you will be increasing the amount of what you are feeding now.

So basically... your check book is about to get hit way worse 🤣🤣🤣
I think he's from down in that south Texas country.

@Jeanne - Simme Valley

Yes, Jeanne, it's an apples to bananas comparison poorly worded by me. I suppose what I'm asking is if it makes any difference nutritionally to put money into buying protein cubes since I only feed them once a week as a treat or if I should simply buy more hay. I'm weekend farmer, so I only see the cows on Saturday. I do have some stockpile left and the cows are doing OK, but as @Brute 23 said, lactating cows in winter will require more input$$$.

@50/50Farms I do have a youtube channel that I mostly use as a vlog to record my attempt at ranching but it's such a small channel that I doubt anyone would refer to me as "the YouTube guy" but thanks.

@50/50Farms I do have a youtube channel that I mostly use as a vlog to record my attempt at ranching but it's such a small channel that I doubt anyone would refer to me as "the YouTube guy" but thanks.
I asked because I realized that's where I knew you from lmao, I watched a few of your videos some months back. Maybe back in June.

Latest posts