To cull or not

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
A little background , bought a nice bunch of fallbreds [see other post], with an agreement to take possession after weaning in april. That gave me time to get fences in shape where I planned to pasture them. Owner decided to wean them early, and I brought them to my place. Now after getting the fences fixed on the pasture place , i have to move them again. Soo after a corral failure , and a personnel failure , Ihave them all moved except 3, now these were pretty docile cows when i started, not pets but not flighty at all. These last ones are as wild as deer right now, one had an abortion a week ago. I think I will work with them a month. Thoughts ? and TIA.

A buddy of mine had a bunch of weaned calfs bust through fence one night bc of coon hunters. We finally got all but 3-4 back, ended up shooting them couldn't get with on 100 yards of them. They'd bed down in the day and feed all night and they the early morning just like deer and were crossing a major highway. The tame cow and a lot of feed would be my suggestion before they bust out. Then a trip to town.

I know I'm going to probably get chastised , but I don't have adequate facilities yet on the pasture place. I can doctor if I have to, with ropes and horses, or darts , but that was the next project . I'll just have to be patient i guess, I'm in them so right that I can't really even justify getting rid of the one that had the abortion. I can pasture them here for as long as necessary , just cuts down on my available hayground.

Latest posts