To cull, or not to cull.....

Help Support CattleToday:

RbarJ

Reaction score
I have a simangus heifer that just had her first calf. The calf is out of a high percentage simmental bull that has thrown some nice babies in the past. The heifer is one that I have used as a show heifer as some smaller shows and the local and state fair. She's done fairly well, though she's not a grand champion heifer.
As far as breeding, disposition and phenotype I like her.
Here's the problem..... She's not producing a whole lot of milk.... I have had to supplement the calf with some maxi-calf milk replacer. The heifer is a pretty broody heifer, she just ain't producing a whole lot of milk.... There's a little, and there's some in her udder, she just isn't letting much down. She's been out on pasture since April so she's a little skinny, but she's not skin and bone and she's no worse than any commercial heifer.
The calf is doing well. There were no difficulties calving.
This all raises the question, should I cull her? If I cull her, should I also consider culling the calf? The way prices are I could just about sell her and use the money to buy 2 younger heifers....
I am looking to build a herd that will do as well the in the show ring as it will in a commercial setting.
Thanks y'all!
Robby

I calve 2yo heifers and most of them produce a lighter-than-herd-average calf, i.e. not as good as the cows' calves. You get to expect that as the norm. I usually give them a second chance and if the second one isn't up there with the herd, they're off. This year was the first time in many years I culled a first-timer because she underfed her calf right through lactation - it wasn't just a bit light, it was obviously underfed.

That's the distinction you probably have to make.

If I recall correctly, most dairy producers try to maintain their animals at a body condition score of 3.5 out of 5 at calving. Beef animals tend to have an even higher body condition.

Keep in mind that in order to produce milk, the animal requires an adequate amount of energy and water. No water, no milk.
If the animal has adequate body fat, you need a relatively stress free environment for the heifer to "let down her milk". If all those conditions are met and she still does not give much milk, you can try giving her a shot of oxytocin, it may help some.

Good luck.

The heifer is penned up and on as much feed and hay as she wants. She doesn't appear to be stressed at all.
The calf was starting to go downhill until I started supplementing it.

She wasn't supposed to be bred as early as she was. She's a little young. About 18 months. A large and mature 18 months, though.

Latest posts