To buy a bull or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a really nice 24 month old reg. Angus bull from my Vet. He has a real nice selection of bulls and good prices. I have 10 head now, but want to grow to 25 over the next 18 months. I could buy two more decent cows or a really nice bull. What is the best choice? I do have three open cows right now that need bred. I could AI, but I really do not want to bother with that right now. Next year I will get into that. But I know I will still need a good cleanup bull no matte what.

Thanks,

Sounds to me like you are for sure gonna need a bull sooner rather than later, even if you do AI a few. The real question is do you like the bull, trust the breeder to stand behind him , and is he worth the asking price.???

No leasing, which I do not blame him. Definetly like the bull, very good genetics. Great looking herd. Better than most I have seen around. I think I will get him. The price is good, especialy compared to the prices I have seen lately. I looked at them two nights ago, he had 10 bulls to sale, now he has 3. But he has the one I picked out still. He is not a true heifer bull, but has a lower BW, but yet has some good growth EPD's on him. Looking at his Dam and knowing his sire, should make some realy nice calves. I think he will work for what I want. And the way bull prices are going, I better act now or I may be paying a lot more soon.

thanks for the help,