To be sued or not to be sued

Help Support CattleToday:

Many years ago, I worked in the trust department of a bank. Just about everybody receiving a trust wanted to get their "hands" on it on their own terms. Almost without exception the judge, if it went taut far respected the wishes of the person sitting up the trust. The only time I remember them breaking a trust, was the immediate need of a child. Most people are all talk, and no show about breaking a will, or trust. The burden of proof, and the expense of pursuit falls on them. Most of the time, they are not that bright to begin with. Thus, the need to have someone else watch their inheritance.

highgrit":1sniskfp said:
I wonder if the kids DNA matches his. With her history, one never knows.

:lol2: :lol2: I thought the same thing till I saw the baby. He definitely has it marked with his genes. Looks just like him.

I think she is just immature and wanting attention. He was working two jobs and going to school when she went stupid.

Bigfoot, I'm glad to hear that. I know of a few that have been broken or simply torn up so I had my worries. Seems like I've seen some ads on television where you can sell your rights to structured settlements to a company. I guess he could do this if he wanted to.

I appreciate everyone's opinion as it gives me a better idea of how most would see it if it came before the court. Don't think it will go that far but I doubt I'll be getting a Christmas card from them this year but that's just the price you have to pay when you are the Scrooge. :mrgreen:

he cant do a structured settlement with out your consent because of you being the trustee... he would need your signature which he probably has found out already...big hugs

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on CT.
The lady laid out her wishes, apparently specific wishes, when she formed the trust and put you in charge.
I don't see any way you have a duty to violate her wishes.
Fall back on the law, which likely lets you alone decide what happens. I wouldn't say anything about his wife and his life.
You'll release the $ when he is 40, the age she specified.

Tell him if the heifer stays until he is 40 then he gets the money.
His mother picked you because she saw some of his father's DNA in his personality traits.

Shantilly":3rq3eilo said:
he cant do a structured settlement with out your consent because of you being the trustee... he would need your signature which he probably has found out already...big hugs

Thanks, that's good to know. Might explain why he is fishing.

john250":3rq3eilo said:
I wouldn't say anything about his wife and his life.

I haven't other than the one time when he first found out about her wickedness and I told him straight up to cull her and cull her quick. Since that time I have been mute. I can only tell him the bridge is out but I can't make him stop the train.

inyati13":3rq3eilo said:
Jo, one last suggestion, in matters of this nature I consult Blue. Please check with Eli!

I have and Eli has made himself clear on this matter but I can't say what he told me for risk of getting the thread locked. He likes most everyone except for muslim women wearing Burkas, black men riding bicycles and her.(not trying to be racist just stating the truth. Kids, women don't bother him - just a black man.) He really doesn't like her. He must sense the demon inside her but he stays clear of her which is unlike Eli since Eli is a certified Lady's Man. Good thing is I have very limited contact with the both of them. (Oh, as for the Muslim women in burkas - he actually HATES them to the point he scares me)

jedstivers":3rq3eilo said:
There's a reason she picked you Jo.

I'd rather we keep my stunning good looks, awesome personality, superior intellect, my highly sculptured body, my virility, my manly masculinity and my quick whit - and my goitre out of this if we can. :mrgreen: :lol2:

All I can say is his mother chose wisely , she knew exactly what she was doing . Her son has proven his bad judgment and choices ,sad that he is in his 30's and still needs a guardian , which he clearly does .

Sorry you have to be burdened by this Joe , sometimes it is easier to say who cares, but that is not who you are . Hopefully he comes to his senses before he destroys all the positive relationships in his life .

The old cliche once again is proven true - no good deed goes unpunished.

I think you are 100% right to stick to your guns and the terms of the trust. I don't think he has enough money or enough grounds to cause any real legal wrangling about it. If he calls your bluff I bet it's one hearing and done. It shows the quality of your character that you are thinking it through so carefully and seeking outside opinions to confirm your instincts.

That being said, sometimes age 40 ain't enough. Age 60 wouldn't be enough. Some people just never learn. One of my relatives who is over 50 inherited a substantial estate and it is already obvious they are gonna blow right thru it. Some of us more jaded and cynical members of the family have already made our predictions to when the house will be lost for back taxes.........

Jogeephus":2vcnbddu said:
inyati13":2vcnbddu said:
Jo, one last suggestion, in matters of this nature I consult Blue. Please check with Eli!

I have and Eli has made himself clear on this matter but I can't say what he told me for risk of getting the thread locked. He likes most everyone except for muslim women wearing Burkas, black men riding bicycles and her.(not trying to be racist just stating the truth. Kids, women don't bother him - just a black man.) He really doesn't like her. He must sense the demon inside her but he stays clear of her which is unlike Eli since Eli is a certified Lady's Man. Good thing is I have very limited contact with the both of them. (Oh, as for the Muslim women in burkas - he actually HATES them to the point it scares me

Jo, Blue is extremely fond of children in the 3 to 9 age range. But he shows his affection by nipping. He loves to bite and chew at my hands, feet and clothes. When I release him from the truck, I have had some Terrifying scares. One day there was a mother walking her toddler. Blue made a run for them and I stopped him 10 feet from the child by yelling at him in the loudest commanding voice I could make. She was already grabbing her toddler in her arms. I have trained him that he cannot exit the truck except on voice and hand command. It has not happened since. I learned that Blue only responds to knocking the shyt out of him. They are tough. Light discipline is a joke to him. I have seen the cows kick him and he is already back on their heels before their foot is back on the ground.

There is a black family near my shack. They have three children. I cannot trust Blue with any of them. He likes the kids but he has put an attack on the man of the house about 5 times and it has been only my loud command that has stopped him.

Blue is aggressive. I have been bitten a couple of times. I sometimes put on my welding gloves and just physically hold his jaws in my gripe and demonstrate dominance. I have him well controlled now but I remain vigilant.

I will never trust him around children because his affection could hurt them. I cannot trust him around adults because he seems to take them as a threat if they come into his territory. The black gentlemen who is my neighbor behind me walks around behind the house and Blue hates that. He makes a low growl in his throat. The guy knows it. I have been out standing in the yard with Blue and I make Blue hold with loud commands. The guy looks up and smiles.

Jo, I would execute the trust just like you were instructed. There is a lot of good advise on how to handle this unfortunate predicament and I too am sure you will make the right decision.

We have a friend that is around 45 years old and his deceased parents should have consulted you about being the trustee for their estate. He has blown through his inheritance and made so many bad choices and it doesn't look like any of the consequences have made an impression yet. Stick to your guns on this one, I don't think you'll be sorry when the dust settles.

My daughter is almost 20, my boys are 6 and 8. My biggest task in life is to stay alive till the boys are in their 30's. If I can help guide all three of them till then that's about all I can ask. Usually if someone hasn't gotten it together by then they won't. That being said I do try to set up things so if something does happen they will be ok. My daughter is very level headed so I also have hope for her if something happens to me.

Latest posts