To A.I. Or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Well, i got bout 5 Angus cows i want to A.I. and i thinking about having Abs or Another company to come to the farm and A.I the cows. I was wondering does anyone know how much this is gonna cost me to have them come out? I know the straws usually cost around $20-50 Each, but i never had them come out and wondering would this cost me a arm and leg?
Is there any other expenses someone can tell me of so i can kinda be prepared. Or should i just wait till spring and spend a couple thousand on a new bull if it is too much expense.

Thanks,

SFF

Contact your local ABS rep, that's the only way to know for sure.

Thanks Scotty, for the vid i kinda know how the process goes :nod: but that does help me out. Im just mainly looking for the cost perspective. I know Abs comes out to the farm and im wondering if Select Sires or anyothers or any good company come out.
dun, thanks im gonna call my local reprenstive and see what he says but kinda wanna be ahead of the game.

Thanks,
SFF

Select Sires and Genex also will AI for you. Depends on which tech is more convenient and what company has a bull you want to use.

SFF I realize I'm a long way from you and the economy varies but I charge $6.50/cow plus $1.50/mile to breed. This is just the labor and supplies, the straw is on top of this. The producer calls me when an amimal is in heat or we schedule a timed breeding and the producer is responsible for the synch and all the supply cost for synchronizing.

SFFarms":2hyebedc said:
Well, i got bout 5 Angus cows i want to A.I. and i thinking about having Abs or Another company to come to the farm and A.I the cows. I was wondering does anyone know how much this is gonna cost me to have them come out? I know the straws usually cost around $20-50 Each, but i never had them come out and wondering would this cost me a arm and leg?
Is there any other expenses someone can tell me of so i can kinda be prepared. Or should i just wait till spring and spend a couple thousand on a new bull if it is too much expense.

Thanks,

SFF

Personally, there is no way on this earth I would put up with a bull for 5 head of cows. As far as the expense of having someone AI them goes - google it, check the yellow pages, call the larger universities that have an AI program in your area and talk to them, call every place in your area that does AI and talk to them. That is the only way you will ever know the cost for sure. That couple of thousand up front for a bull will cover a lot of AI related expenses, add the fact that you will have better calves by going with AI'ing because you can hand pick a bull to match the strengths of your cows/improve their weaknesses, then factor in the cost of feed, fence repairs, and having to deal with that bull on a day to day basis for the other 11 months of the year, and it looks like a no-brainer to me.

Price... when I have my cows AI'd, it costs me $20/hd plus the cost of the straw (usually around $20 too). My vet does my AI work and sometimes I have him come out, or else I take the cow(s) to the clinic. It's only about 3 miles away from my house so it's not too far.

Are the cows bred now? Are they registered? Do you have facilities to confine the cows for AI'ing? Do you have the time and experience to effectively detect the optimum time for breeding? If you don't, and decided to AI, then you'd be better off synchronizing them, which requires more handling and costs.

Chris H":3alxsjre said:
Are the cows bred now? Are they registered? Do you have facilities to confine the cows for AI'ing? Do you have the time and experience to effectively detect the optimum time for breeding? If you don't, and decided to AI, then you'd be better off synchronizing them, which requires more handling and costs.

Chris i bought the angus cows this spring all of them are reg. and A.I. due to calve in fall and 3 reg heifers bought 10 months old now im trying to look at the future. I got an head gate and chute to run the cows through but i was thinking if my local vet does it i may just use him.

I have more than 5 cows i have around 15 gerts in a pasture and another 20 beef cattle and angus in a field near my home so the bull could be moved around and used about anywhere. Right now i got a 3 year old gert bull breeding my beef cattle and gerts.

Thanks,

SFF

SFFarms":r8zx8f6f said:
Chris H":r8zx8f6f said:

Chris i bought the angus cows this spring all of them are reg. and A.I. due to calve in fall and 3 reg heifers bought 10 months old now im trying to look at the future. I got an head gate and chute to run the cows through but i was thinking if my local vet does it i may just use him.

I have more than 5 cows i have around 15 gerts in a pasture and another 20 beef cattle and angus in a field near my home so the bull could be moved around and used about anywhere. Right now i got a 3 year old gert bull breeding my beef cattle and gerts.

Thanks,

SFF

That info changes what I was going to recommend! I was going to say if they were just commercial cattle, and the only cattle you have, just a hobby, --then buy a young bull, run him with the cows 6 weeks, grain him during those 6 weeks and another 6 weeks after you pull him out, then butcher him. Haha, not a normal answer on these boards, but different things work for different operations.

I wouldn't run a bull for those five unless you can use the bull in the rest of the herd. I'd guess you want to keep your gerts purebred, but with 5 reg Angus and another 20 beef/angus cows in another pasture then you could afford to purchase a good bull. An alternative that we have used with some success is to AI select cows, your 5 Angus in your case, in hopes of raising a herdsire for your commercial cattle. AI'ing your Angus would give you the opportunity to try some bloodlines that may not be available otherwise.

Latest posts