TMR to feeder cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

charangusman08

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could help me on a TMR question. I have around 50 red and black angus feeders, and would like to start feeding them a TMR. They are around 6 or 7 months and between 500-600 pounds. What should my protein percentage of the mix be and how much corn should I feed? Like 50% 60% 40% corn?

I'm sure the feedlot folks like somn and the likes are more qualified to give advice, but since no-one else has replied...

Calves of that age can utelise a slightly higher protein feed, they are also typically just weaned and more proned to stress related illnesses and digestive upsets. To help prevent the digestive upsets the protein source should start out as a natural source like sunflower oilcake, Canola oilcake, soybean hulls, etc and not a NPN source like urea. After an adaption period of about 4 weeks that can slowly be replaced with urea as a protein source if the difference in price really justifies it. So in short start out at around 16% protein, that can slowly be reduced to about 12% as the energy increases. You need to aim to get to about 70-72% TDN in the ration.

In a TMR start with about 50% alfalfa or good quality grass hay, the protein supplement and the rest either rolled or crushed barley or corn and a buffered medicated feedlot concentrate. There are alot of commercial feedlot concentrates with mixing intructions for a variety of rations mixing from a cafeteria system to a TMR. The hay part can slowly be reduced to about 25 % and the corn increased.

I prefer a cafeteria system myself and I just go with the mixes according to the mixing intruction on the sack of concentrate, if you were in SA I would have been better able to help you, but I have no idea what products you have available there.

Remember that TMR are never supposed to run out and need to be available adlib at all times.

Call up your local livestock extension agent- he can have a ration made for you based on least cost ingredients in your area.

charangusman08":2dai894z said:
Was wondering if anyone could help me on a TMR question. I have around 50 red and black angus feeders, and would like to start feeding them a TMR. They are around 6 or 7 months and between 500-600 pounds. What should my protein percentage of the mix be and how much corn should I feed? Like 50% 60% 40% corn?

Protein percentage for those weights should be 14%. 16% CP are for the 400 lb calves. Once they grow up to be 800 lbs CP has to be around 12%. Since they are at a smaller weight and should be grown out to put weight on in form of more muscle than fat, I would feed corn at ~30 to 40% of their diet, closer to ~30%. These calves need to be fed hay, more hay than corn, and the hay should be comprised of mostly legumes and be good quality, since this, as Knersie stated, is closer to their natural diet that they had been on prior to weaning.

Latest posts