TMR Rations

Help Support CattleToday:

Lawson Farms

Reaction score
I need some advice on how to determine rations. My family operated a dairy farm until my dad passed away a few years ago. Now I am trying to build up a beef herd. We have the strorage capacity and equipment to mix feed in a vertical mixer. We still have some holstein heifers that we are growing and will sell as springing heifers as well as our growing angus herd. Can anyone give me help in where to look for a TMR ration? We grow our own corn silage and hay. We keep soybean hulls, cottonseed meal, and used to keep Hominy. Now we are having a hard time getting Hominy and would like to switch to DDG's or some other grain. Thoughts?

To insure you get it right your best bet is probably a beef type nutrionalist

Talk to your local extension agent- they have contacts that can help you formulate a ration.

Have you checked with your local feed mill? My local feed mill has a beef nutritionist hired and as long as you buy mineral and that sort of thing from them the nutritionist will do rations at no charge.

We're located in South Carolina. We used to pay for a nutritionist when we were still milking. I guess I'll call the Clemson extension agent to get started.

Lawson Farms":3i9j5den said:
We're located in South Carolina. We used to pay for a nutritionist when we were still milking. I guess I'll call the Clemson extension agent to get started.
Why not give the nutritionist a call....Should be a one time shot, not requiring a lot of his time and with a list of what you have available as far as ingredients he should be able to do it rather quickly. Hope your extention agents adn county agents are better than most in Texas. Still waiting to meet my first one that anything more than another gov't employee.

Latest posts