Tis the season?!

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
Just about had a fit when I checked the weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow...BLEAH!!!!!!! :shock: I am so not ready for this stuff yet. :cry:

Heavy snowfall warning in effect.
Tonight .. Snow at times heavy. Amount 10 to 15 centimetre. Fog patches. Wind north 40 km/h diminishing to 20 overnight. Low minus 1.
Wednesday .. Snow at times heavy changing to periods of wet snow or rain showers in the afternoon. Snowfall amount 5 centimetre. Fog patches. Wind northeast 20 km/h. High plus 3.
Thursday .. Periods of rain. Low 3. High 9.
Friday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low zero. High 10.
Saturday .. Sunny. Low 1. High 13.

Normals for the period .. Low 5. High 16

You gave me a chill just reading your forecast. Were those temps F or C ? Here in IL our forecast is for lows in the 50/60's and highs in the 80's .... and no snow.

The temperature is in Celcius. Zero degrees Celcius is the temperature that water freezes at. I've always been kind of lost where Farenheit is concerned, because by the time I started school they were using Celcius to measure the temperature.

The confusing part was that the Canadian government was just starting to adopting the metric system as the official means of measuring mass, distance and volume at that time, so my generation ended up using a bastardization of both Imperial and Metric. Some fun, huh Bambi? But when they started putting French on all the cereal boxes and milk cartons things got kind of education... whether you wanted to know it or not, you learned that 'lait' was milk. What a crazy ol' world, eh? C'est la vie!

Okay, just peeked out the window and here she comes! And to think that yesterday was the kids' first day back in school (Yay!). If it dumps like it might could be interesting to see how sloppy the back roads get (we haven't had much of a frost yet) and whether or not the school buses will run on those goosey roads. Bet there will be some good snowball fights tomorrow morning in the schoolyards.

Hpim3157.jpg

Well, the image won't download at the moment...probably just as well as it's kind of depressing.

Take care.

certherfbeef":31k5jpr7 said:
I hope you brought your plants into the house!!!

that very same thought crossed my mind! :lol:

The temperature is in Celcius. Zero degrees Celcius is the temperature that water freezes at. I've always been kind of lost where Farenheit is concerned, because by the time I started school they were using Celcius to measure the temperature.

The confusing part was that the Canadian government was just starting to adopting the metric system as the official means of measuring mass, distance and volume at that time, so my generation ended up using a bastardization of both Imperial and Metric. Some fun, huh Bambi? But when they started putting French on all the cereal boxes and milk cartons things got kind of education... whether you wanted to know it or not, you learned that 'lait' was milk. What a crazy ol' world, eh? C'est la vie!

Boy do I ever know where you are coming from there. I was in about grade six when they switched over so I don't have a very good grasp on either system. Half the plans we get at work are in standard and the other half are in metric. Usually, I find myself converting metres to feet. My kids, however, don't have a clue what a foot is.
When I'm trying to fix equipment, I always try the standard sizes first although I've found that 19/32 is a very common metric size. It is one of my most used standard/metric wrenches.
As far as that snow goes, keep it up there. We've had frost every month this year except July and it was close. Coldest and wettest summer on record. Alot of what we build are post frame buildings, so with a high water table, it makes it very difficult and as far as trying to lay any concrete slabs, that has been hit and miss so far too. Oh well, maybe we'll have summer next year.

I'd kill for some cool weather here in Texas. If was dang near 100 degrees this weekend.

TXSHOWMOM-

I totally agree with you! It was so hot this weekend. The A/C is out in my truck and I was about to melt even with the windows down at 70! I don't know if I want it THAT cold but a little norther would be nice.

I've been up north and its fun to visit the snow but after seeing it piled to the roof of houses I can see why we have winter Texans. After a few weeks of shoveling the white stuff I'd move too. Great fun to visit though.

Okay, here's some of that white stuff for all you Southern folk.

Hpim3162.jpg

Hpim3167.jpg

I didn't bother taking in the tomato plants...they're long done producing up here. Already got a poplar tree over the fenceline. Looks like a busy day ahead.

Take care.

That is really a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing! It that sort of weather normal for the beginning of September for you? When does it start getting warm again?

Well Sidney, this is darn unseasonal this early in the year. As per the forecast, average low is 5 C and average high 16 C. That being said, there can be a snowstorm any month of the year, if the conditions are right.

On the downside, after losing power for the third time in five minutes tonight ( a lot of trees can't bear the weight of the snow on their leaves and take out the power lines in these storms), I went outside to bring in some more firewood and heard a young horse whinnying frantically.

Fifteen minutes of hiking through the snow and gumbo and I found a spot where at least two horses slid into a fence - broke top wire and knocked down four sections (thank God there were already two broken posts in that span that we hadn't gotten around to fixing, or they would have really shredded themselves). Another twenty minutes revealed my best yearling filly with a eight inch laceration on her chest, but at least it's only the hide and not muscle or tendons affected. After checking out the other horses in that bunch, I found a two year old filly with a sliced foreleg...fortunately it's running down the inside of the leg and appears superficial. Anyway, opened the gate and mixed the young stuff with the saddle horses for the night.

When I went back to examine the spot where they hit the fence, it appears that something (snowladen tree that fell down?) spooked them so that they ran down the hillside, tried to stop, couldn't and judging by the six foot long skid marks in the snow, slid full speed into that fence. Seriously, it looks like someone drove two quads into it.

Blasted snowstorm, anyway!

End of rant. Take care.

My gosh Annie! That's awful weather for this time of year.. even as far north as ya'll are!!

I know one thing.. it's so cold in the mornings here (ok.. I'll admit it, I'm a wimp as far as cold weather is concerend) that I've been putting on long pants to feed. It's scaring the beezezus out of me for the winter.. I really think we're in for a long yucky one. :(

It's not all that terrible. A pain in the backside, but considering what those poor folks are going through just trying to survive those hurricanes, I'll put up with forty below winters any day.

Take care.

TheBullLady":176cinaq said:
My gosh Annie! That's awful weather for this time of year.. even as far north as ya'll are!!

I know one thing.. it's so cold in the mornings here (ok.. I'll admit it, I'm a wimp as far as cold weather is concerend) that I've been putting on long pants to feed. It's scaring the beezezus out of me for the winter.. I really think we're in for a long yucky one. :(

I checked the persommon seeds yesterday for the winter prediciton. Generally there is an assortment of knives, forks and spoons, but one of them generally dominates. Knives or forks mean cold severe winters but I'm not sure which is exactly which. Spoons mean we'll shovel a lot of snow. Every seed I chekced had a spoon.

dun

I did more research and it's one of those deals that not everyone agrees with the same signs.

Some claim a knife means a mild winter others that it means a cold severe winter. A fork means it will be a cold severe winter or a mild winter. But everyone agrees that a spoon means shoveling snow, flooding in no snow areas.
Then there is the wooleywrom predictions but I've never been able to figure that one out.

dun

I've always heard that the fork means a cold winter, the spoon snow / rain and the knife is "normal" weather for your area.

I've got an program that converts temps., distances, volume,etc. but I can't figure out how to attach it here. Does anyone know how to add an attachment?

;-)

Extra hairy (dark colored) wooley worms mean a cold winter, wooley worms with lighter colored or thinner hair mean a normal-mild winter is the way I've always heard it.

I'll know its cold when all the rats line up at the door in the mornings trying to move back out to the wood pile. I guess I should keep a warmer fire. ;-)

Latest posts