Tired of Talking about the Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Only problem is when it turns off. Our last was the 11th of the month and none in sight for the rest of the month. The 15 inches was a good thing but not all at once.

I'd love to share. This is the wettest summer I can remember. We need a break because this is getting serious.

It has been almost perfect here. If you ever said,"I wish I could order my weather the way I want it." Well, that is about the way we got it. Best summer I can remember. Almost perfect. Pasture looks like May pasture. Was a little too wet for good tobacco.

inyati13":3rlx3f90 said:
It has been almost perfect here. If you ever said,"I wish I could order my weather the way I want it." Well, that is about the way we got it. Best summer I can remember. Almost perfect. Pasture looks like May pasture. Was a little too wet for good tobacco.

Same here too, and very cool for August. Through what is usually the dog days, we have nights in 50's, days 80's. I think today is our first day forecast to reach 90 in about 2 weeks.

Rain predicted every day for the rest of the week. Tobacco has all but drowned, cotton very shallow rooted and if the rain quits then it won't set, if it doesn't quit it can't be picked. Corn so so. Grass still growing. Rivers out of their banks. Why people pay to go in saunas is beyond me.

I don't think I can remember a summer as wet and cool as this one.....at least not in recent memory. We haven't broke 95 yet and we have had rain every couple of days. I have been rained out just about every weekend. I am clipping pastures with cows on it. I could have run stockers this year along with my cow/calf herd. My garden has suffered though.....rotten tomatoes and white mold on the squash leaves from too much moisture.

Our summer average was only 92F which is cool but recently our heat index has been around 115F which makes for ideal working conditions.

What has me worried is a hurricane or tropical depression. We can't handle 6-10 inches of rain. Right now the road crews can't keep some of the roads open because of the rain. This could get real bad in a hurry, but we sure needed the rain for our ground water.

I checked my mushrooms yesterday but nothing but a few wild inedibles. Still too hot yet but I have my fingers crossed.

Over 8 inches friday and saturday. we got a pile last night but my rain gauge is no longer in service. I bucket checked it this morning and about 10" over the last 5 days. Its been about 6 years since we have been able to shoot ducks in our ponds so thats one bright spot.

I quite using a rain gauge a couple of months ago. With it raining every day it doesn't matter how many inches I'm getting because its just getting deeper. Cows are liking it though but I foresee some major problems if it doesn't let up.

Latest posts