Tire waters

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with making a waterer out of old loader tires I've seen them online and researched them. It seems most people just run water line up the center and use dry quick- crete to seal it up. My concern is that it wouldn't seal up I'd be using city water prolly in a bull pen. Any real life experience with them. Thanks.

I have been using one for 12 years with 0 maintenence. I did put 5 one gallon jugs 1/2 full of saltwater this winter but it never got cold enough to freeze the water. I have the float in a metal upright culvert about 15 ft from the tire so even if a cow ever got in it there is nothing to damage.

kenny thomas":3g30ibi7 said:
I have been using one for 12 years with 0 maintenence. I did put 5 one gallon jugs 1/2 full of saltwater this winter but it never got cold enough to freeze the water. I have the float in a metal upright culvert about 15 ft from the tire so even if a cow ever got in it there is nothing to damage.

And you just used quick- crete to seal it. You would think rubber and the quick- crete wouldn't bind well enough to keep from leaking.

Poured concrete already mixed. Tire holds 900 gallon so it took about 2 yards of concrete if I remember. Pour the center full and then let it spill over into the tire until it goes to the bottom. Form it good by hand and it will seal. Never a leak so far.

Thanks for the help. The place I got my tractor tires have a big loader tire that was un- repairable they said I could have it so might give it a try

The secret to it lasting forever is putting the float in a pipe away from the tire. With it like that there is nothing to break nor to freeze.