tire water trough

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5 I think the ones I have maybe off of earthmovers, you might check with a shop that replaces tires on road working equipment. Sounds like that turned in to a job that would be a lot bigger than I would want.

Supa Dexta":29sy6aly said:
Have read to suspend tire slightly, sidewall up with FEL or something, then sawzall will cut slick and easy, as the weight helps pull it apart.

Was supposed to have a few tires coming last spring - still haven't shown up.
If you pull up you will bind it. Let it fall into the tire as you cut.

herefordlover":3gyh45zg said:
2colbpe.jpg

this is the inside of our tanks have 8 in use with plans for at least 2 more soon. i will add as soon as we put cement in we run 6 or so inches of water on top of it. not had one leak in the 4 years we have been doing these. there all on gravity pond water. we drain the ones not in use during winter. did change the type of valves to gallager. another thing we do is put a brass coupling in the cement so if the pvc does get broke off u can clean out threads and just redo pvc....had it happen once and do not know how it happend
If you put a Jobe valve on bottom it won't freeze like that one on top. Cattle can't tear it up either. No way would I put onr of those valves in a tire tank.

I was wrong the strands of wire are 1/4 apart

Ply disc cut and screwed down with liquid neoprene between

I then put about 1/2" of elastomeric( cool seal) over it to seal Plywood from moisture from ground. I will let this dry 24hrs or so then flip it back over and fill inside.

Sealed with neoprene flashing cement with this product it is water proof as soon as it's applied it will finish curing under water. I have filled it in the field where it's going and will let it overflow and set a few days to wash the petroleum products leach out and float out of tank.

Ive worked with this stuff. Use it as a last resort as its pretty much a structural type adhesive. If you use it on your tires they will NOT slip but you might have to cut the tire off the rim when you change tires. You know how some of the newer unibody type cars have the windshield as part of the body structure? This is the stuff they glue the windshield in with.

Web

M-5":1umxtpwk said:
I WILL check the next tire I get for steel in the side wall . I will take a pic of it this weekend. It took 2 hrs with a chainsaw, 4.5" cut off wheel and 2 reciprocating saws to get the sidewall cut off. I have cut tractor tire sidewalls with a sharp knife .. The strands we about 3/4" apart running from rim bead to the tread all the way around the tire .

I stopped today to get some more tires to cut and the man ask me how I cut them. When I told him I use a chainsaw he said you wont cut them now with a chainsaw also told me it must have been years ago that I cut them, I told him it had been and he said that the ones I was getting several years did not have steel in them like they do now. said all the newer ones will have steel in them and did not know how you could cut them now, so I guess my way will no longer work so if anyone comes up with a good way to cut the steel belted ones I would like to know
thanks KB

i cut a couple real heavy loader tires that were about 7' round. they had steel belts in them. recip saw wouldn't go through them.. chainsaw was the only way. it'd dual the chain in about 5 seconds. I have around 6 hours cutting out one, smoking the entire place up. those tires were about 5"+ thick.

I made up 2.. cemented the bottoms. they ended up freezing before anything else and stayed frozen solid days after warm up.

not sure how people use them and keep them from freezing. i'd rather just dig a little pond vs. those things.

I can have a tire cut in less than 10 min with a sawzall, I can have the whole tank in place fairly rapidly, every morning the ire is half the thickness on a tire tank vs at metal tank. If I was in a real cold area is have a small amount in water going through the overflow pipe. I'd also have a horse stall mat laying over the tank with a small area cut out to drink.
Tire tanks are the simplest, cheapest, and lifelong tank I know of.

One reason I always liked them was they didn't freeze as easy. I have one that I have a heater in then I have one on the south side of my barn , to keep the north wind off of it, last week it got down to single digits and the top was froze about 1.50 ''but it was not froze around the edge. you could push down the ice and water would come on the top of the ice.

I can't say for sure with a thick skidder tire, but I sliced two steel belted dumb truck tires down the middle with a sawzall for a tire drag.

I used a wood blade and squirted it with diesel as a lubricant. Worked really well.