Tire Size

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Hello all,

One of my rear rims cracked on my little ford 1900, and it's too rusty to fix. Local dealer has a complete set of new rims with tires that's been there forever but there off a 1520. I can have them all for what it will cost me for just a new rim. The fronts don't come near fitting but the back rims will bolt on perfectly. The tire size however is 11 x 24, mine are 12.4 x 24. The diameter of the new set is 2 inches smaller. Not the rim but the tires. Will this be ok as long as I leave it in 2 wheel drive? Will it create a problem if I use the four wheel drive? I'm thinking it will.

Train

Train":1hptzgs4 said:
Hello all,

One of my rear rims cracked on my little ford 1900, and it's too rusty to fix. Local dealer has a complete set of new rims with tires that's been there forever but there off a 1520. I can have them all for what it will cost me for just a new rim. The fronts don't come near fitting but the back rims will bolt on perfectly. The tire size however is 11 x 24, mine are 12.4 x 24. The diameter of the new set is 2 inches smaller. Not the rim but the tires. Will this be ok as long as I leave it in 2 wheel drive? Will it create a problem if I use the four wheel drive? I'm thinking it will.

Train

Why not buy them and use one of the rear wheels with your old tire and sell the other tires ( I would keep the other rear wheel to replace your other old wheel)

As far as using the tires and wheels with your 4WD, it would only cause problems if you were on a surface where there wouldn't be any slippage.

That was my plan. Might take a bit to find someone that can use the front wheels but the overall price is to good to pass up. My main concern is not causing damage to the 4wd. The only time I really use it is backing my bale spear into bale on some of the denser ones and when I'm clearing snow with it.( about once every four years around here.)

I don't know anything about the Ford 1900, but it'll depend on the 4WD system. If its hydraulic front wheel assist, the front motors will often compensate for changing tire sizes. If its a mechanical system, don't use 4WD. Dropping tire outside diameter 2 inches amounts to a fairly significant gear ratio change and you'll get driveline binding in all but the slickest conditions. What did your local dealer have to say about it? Do you have a trusted Ford/NH dealer nearby?

Rod

Latest posts