Tire people-a simple spare tire question..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
It's time for new rear tires on my 08 Silverado. 2 yrs old, but tread depth is getting a little shallow.
The question is in regards to the spare. "brand new" 9 yr old oem spare that's never been on the ground. (it was under the truck all this time until I took it out last Nov and put it in the bed). The oem spare still has 32psi of original nitrogen mix in it. I'm concerned about dry rot on a tire that old if I ever really have to put it on.
Am I better off putting one of the 2 year old tires on the spare rim and just chunking the 9 year old tire or keeping the 'new' oem tire for the spare?

Personally, I'd buy one new tire that matches the spare and put it to use if it doesn't show horrible cracking from dry-rot. Then use one of your 2 year olds as a spare.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems tires have started to dry-rot worse in the past 10 years or so than prior. Especially Michelins.

When it was under the bed, it was out of the sun, so it didn't age as much as the other tires did. Especially if you park the truck outside.

I prefer not to change a tire away from home. I carry a 12V compressor and a plugging kit and 99% of the time that gets me home to where I can take it off with good tools in the shop or to a tire store where I can have it fixed properly.

If I had much of a load on it, I'd leave it where it is and put two new on the back. I generally put the new on the front and move the front to the back, if I'm only replacing two, and the front are still in good shape. If not loaded much, generally just truck weight I'd probably do what cf said.

I don't want to put the oem spare on the ground full time. OEM tires are notoriously soft on purpose, and you don't get much mileage out of them. I'd also have to dismount the spare from it's oem wheel anyway and put it on one of the others--the spare rim is just a cheap black rim--and the other 4 are silver and different altogether. I ain't a 'slave to appearances' by any means, but I'd rather have 4 wheels that match, but I sure don't want to risk having to put that 9 year old spare on if I have a flat and the thing blow out 5 miles down the road....Vehicle manufacturers do this because:
1. It cuts production cost.
2. Gives a nice soft ride for buyers taking the vehicle for their test drive.

Tires are all Generals.
4 on the wheels are General 'Grabbers'. Spare is General 'Ameritrak'.

I carry a 12V compressor and a plugging kit and 99% of the time that gets me home to where I can take it off with good tools in the shop or to a tire store where I can have it fixed properly.
Same here--it's slow, but it will air one up. I also carry a plug kit, but haven't had to use it on this truck.

Texas uses chip and tar for most of their roads. It's hard on tires.

talltimber":3aql2sma said:
If I had much of a load on it, I'd leave it where it is and put two new on the back. I generally put the new on the front and move the front to the back, if I'm only replacing two, and the front are still in good shape. If not loaded much, generally just truck weight I'd probably do what cf said.
Ditto

I think as long as the tire holds pressure and no major cracks, I wouldn't worry much about the spare. If I ever have to use a spare its only to limp home or to the shop for repair/replacement. If I were travelling a good ways from home, I guess I would be more concerned. BTW tire shopping is the worst. Almost as bad as shopping for a gift for the wife.

Latest posts