Tire Food Plot Drag

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am going to make a tire drag to drag over my oats after disking and broadcasting. I have 6 old truck tires I am going to use. My plan is to put three in the back row, two in middle and one up front. I am going to pull the drag from the front tire and chain the other tires together in a triangle. My question is when I look online I see some tire drags have bar running across the front of the tires and the drag is pulled from the bar. Is the bar necessary? Will pulling from one front tire cause any problems? Thanks for the input.

You're going to have a little bit of a V-Plow effect, FWIW. I like an old piece of chain link fence with tires tossed on top of it, seems to do a better job.

Soggy Bottom said:
I am going to make a tire drag to drag over my oats after disking and broadcasting. I have 6 old truck tires I am going to use. My plan is to put three in the back row, two in middle and one up front. I am going to pull the drag from the front tire and chain the other tires together in a triangle. My question is when I look online I see some tire drags have bar running across the front of the tires and the drag is pulled from the bar. Is the bar necessary? Will pulling from one front tire cause any problems? Thanks for the input.

What I found with a tire drag is it tends to pile seeds up in front and make it clumpy in my dirt. If you are already discing the best thing to do is broadcast after dirts worked up and disc you cant beat that. Drag for me helps smooth out the dirt more than cover up the seeds.

Soggy Bottom said:
don't know if something like this might help. simple enough. we were using it to spread the manure some.

ccr said:
Soggy Bottom said:
don't know if something like this might help. simple enough. we were using it to spread the manure some.

I had one similar to that with cattle pannel. I used 2, 2x6 boards on the front and bolted them together with the pannel pinched in between. I popped to holes with a whole saw bit thru the boards for D rings. I took slick with and wired a post to the top about 2' from the front. I always like the way the pannel drug it smooth... hard to beat IMO.

You need the bar or the tires will just bunch up.

Take a sawzall and slice the tires down the middle. Use diesel for lube. Even if they are steel belted they will cut pretty easily. Do two rows, 6 in front, 5 in the back or vice versa, staggered so you dont have any gaps.

Pull the drag across at a 45* angle, it will push the peaks over and bury most of the seeds in the furrow. Works real good for alfalfa.

Has unbody ever cutting tractor tires and let them unroll like the "gator backs" on the interstate them fasten them to a header bar tread side down? Leaving them whole they seem to just smear stuff around and clump up bad without a grate under them. Wondered would that let it do more of a scattering effect? Seems that would be easier than halving them as described above tho to be honest I have never tried them that way.

Tracks off a skid loader would work too I guess.

Latest posts