Tire drag

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I live in central Minnesota and bale graze with great results. However one problem is the piles sometimes left of bales in our hayfields. Depending on the weather and other issues some are cleaned up well and some aren't. I have used both spike and spring tooth drags with limited success, mostly the drag slides over the hay. I read about drags made of old tires that do a good job of dragging the hay apart. I have a friend in the road and gravel business who has a lot of grader and truck tires to get rid of. Has anyone used a tire drag for this purpose? Which tires do you think would work better? Plans? Sites? Thanks.

Tire drag will either bunch it all up and then slide over it leaving a big wad or do just like your drag. Best way iv found to handle hay piles is take a box blade or bucket and push it into a low spot or pile in a year's time wont be nothing but compost left.

I have a tire drag, it won't work for that very well.. It will roll the hay as it goes over it, and just leaves it bunched up even worse. I've started burning those piles here. I wait until they are fairly dried out in the spring and then light them up. After that they will break up much easier. Usually its really muddy around mine anyways, so I end up disking in the burnt matter and what didnt burn.

I fluff it then rake it into a row. If it's dry burn it, if it's wet grapple it up and move it where I think want it.

I've tried--
landscape rake.
Tire drag.
Tined drag.
chisel Harrow.
6' box blade with scarifiers down.

Box blade worked the best just because it was heaviest and wouldn't roll over the hay as you moved along, tho I was limited to how much I could spread out at one time.
The landscape rake worked just so-so and only if I tied some cement weights on top--but still not happy with the results.

What I think would work great is an old horse drawn hay rake, modified to fit a 3 pt--the tines are tall enough to contain a lot of hay--they were made for this type thing.

8088447.jpg

A couple of thoughts. Nothing will drag out left over hay. Chopping with a bush hog helps. The best fix is not to let it happen if you can.
Put bales in feeders on their end not on their sides. This makes the cows eat through the shell and helps limit waste. Make the cows clean up each ring. It won't hurt them to go a few hours with out hay.

Move the rings every time you put a new bale in. This limits how much hay is left in each pile and make clean up easier.

Latest posts