Tire Drag

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Any one have any tips on building a tire drag?

I have an I beam that works good for knocking down the highs but doesnt slick it off real well and can grab a little too much in really loose ground.

Here is my plan. Feel free to shoot holes in it. I need 13-15'. Thinking about a row of 5 truck tires in back and 4 up front. Thinking maybe 1/2" x 3" bolts with oversize washers.

Saw videos online that claim it was tough to drill thru the tires? Are the bolts bad about trying to rip thru the tires?

I have bolted car tires together and they have lasted well. I used 12mm threaded rod, the stuff used in house frames in high wind risk areas. I used the big square washers that are used with the rod in house frames as well and peened the end of the rod so the nut doesn't come off. Yes they are hard to drill through, can't remember how I did it, may have used a hot soldering iron to open up the hole after drilling. The problem is the hole closes after drilling through.

Ken

I used junk 22.5 heavy duty tires. Cut them down the middle with a sawzall. Bias plies cut easier, but they are harder to find.

You can drill them, or just use a loop of chain through the tire. From my experience, the tire will smooth out the chain mark.

If you put 5 tires in the back, you should chain them to the bar, not to the front row of tires, or they will want to push together and bunch up.

I used junk 22.5 heavy duty tires. Cut them down the middle with a sawzall. Bias plies cut easier, but they are harder to find.

You can drill them, or just use a loop of chain through the tire. From my experience, the tire will smooth out the chain mark.

If you put 5 tires in the back, you should chain them to the bar, not to the front row of tires, or they will want to push together and bunch up.
Got ya. Thanks. That makes sense.

I've never split them, did you put the cut side down?

I made one out of 16" truck tires, bolted them together with 1/2" bolts and standard washers - haven't had one pull thru yet. Bolted a piece of channel down the front side and ran some chains off of it. Works pretty good. A lot of times I'll pull it in tandem behind my chain drag.

I made one out of 16" truck tires, bolted them together with 1/2" bolts and standard washers - haven't had one pull thru yet. Bolted a piece of channel down the front side and ran some chains off of it. Works pretty good. A lot of times I'll pull it in tandem behind my chain drag.

Yeah, but in certain conditions it works better flipped the other way. Sometimes with the cut side down they will collect too much material, or dig in and cut a groove.

I never had good luck drilling a hole in a tire. So I took a piece of 1/2 inch rebar. Ground the end to a point. Heated it up red hot and pushed it through the tire. Used plenty of washers.

Can you please post pictures?

Actually, I'd love to see the pictures from all of y'all's set ups. The wild hogs are heck on my pastures and I have to drag it 1-2 times a year.

20210304_173639.jpg
Here's one I made for the wife to use behind the side by side for the horse lot. I think it's a piece of 4" c-channel up front, chains from there to the clevis hitch on the Ranger.

I call all the rich people I know to come in fancy dresses and heels to stomp them. Charge them $250 a drink, $10 for parking, $15 to enter, I call it get in touch with nature or some crap. Rich town people love it. 🤩😂🤡 bahahahahaha jokes.

Okay I drive around smash them with the tractor. 🚜 💩

Got ours out to spread out some bullshit.

I didn't make this one, but I did add the extensions and end tires. It's made from 22.5 bias plies, cut in half like I mentioned.

This one has bolts through the tires, but a few of them have pulled through, I just looped the chain around those and it hasn't seemed to make any difference.

PXL_20210310_192707525.jpgPXL_20210310_192825803.jpg

Latest posts