Tire Decision

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows

Reaction score
I recently got another truck which will be pulling my 18' alum.stock trailer some when I need 4 wheel drive.The truck has LT235/85-16 10 ply tires on it.Would changing to LT 265/75-16 help with ride/sway on trailer? The outside diameter is the same so I won't be messing with my gear ratio or speedometer.

Don;t know but long ago when putting real wide tires on trucks was the hot deal we went through wheel bearings like crazy. Has something to do with the geometry of the point the bearing is carrying the weight. Anyway that;s how it was explained to me many moons ago.

DO NOT put wider tires on those wheels! Get you some Firestone Transforce A\T's in the same size, side wall flex has more to do with the tire itself not the width.

We've got both, the 235's are more stable when pulling to me. Buy a good set of commercial 235's and keep the air pressure where it's supposed to be and you'll love them. I'm not the least bit impressed with the wider tires, plus they suck in snow.

Mtncows
You mentioned ride and sway
For the sway make sure you go with the Load Range E heavy ply tire, the stiffer the side wall the less sway, would not be surprised if your truck has Load Range C tires most people just don't want to spend more money on tires.

With ride one of the way to improve that is to go with a BF Goodrich or Michelin these 2 brands are cosistanley ranked for ride quality, but Range E tires will not ride as good as Range C, also the more aggresive the tread the poorer the ride quality and the more vibration wich leads to front end repairs (tierods, bushings, bearings etc...).
From my experiance no problem with adding the wider tire to the stock rim, the problem starts when you put larger tires on aftermarket rims and don't properly calculete rim offset.

SMiller":13wzlm28 said:
DO NOT put wider tires on those wheels! Get you some Firestone Transforce A\T's in the same size, side wall flex has more to do with the tire itself not the width.
GREAT ADVICE ! I replaced the 215's on my Dually with the 235 Firestones and have been very satisfied with the ride---- thinner is better-- less heat !! :)