Tire chains for tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Looking at buying a set off chains for my 6640 RWD with loader.18.4-34 tires.Will fit my 7600 when I get it back going again.
Less than one mile on pavement per day when used.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.Please don't suggest a FWD.Can't afford one right now.

Thanks.

Have you looked into screw in studs? I haven't had experience with the for tractors, but I've had contractors use studs on 40 ton rock trucks for winter work to great effect. Might be worth a look.

Nothing pulls as good as a tire with chains on it. I have a set for my Samurai and another set for my trucks. At the local bog hole the 4 wheelers and side x sides can't stop in the middle and take off without bogging up. I can do a 3 pt turn in the middle if I choose to when I have my chains on. If it keeps raining I just might need a set for my 4wd tractors.

I feed hay at one of my rented farms with a 2 wheel drive JD with loader. With all this mud I have to be carful where I go or I want be able to make it back to the barn. Will tire chains make that big of a difference?

Chains work.
Chains work even better w a rear weight or when you drive in reverse.
New are spendy, used are $40 to $100 per set here.
Good Luck.

{Bale grazing could eliminate the feeding with a tractor.}

Stocker Steve":1swm9x0w said:
Chains work.
Chains work even better w a rear weight or when you drive in reverse.
New are spendy, used are $40 to $100 per set here.
Good Luck.

{Bale grazing could eliminate the feeding with a tractor.}

You should see what the ground looks like around the hay ring after feeding just one roll of hay. If I baled grazed the entire farm would look like it had been plowed under.

I guess I wasn't considering that JW was likely dealing with mud rather than ice. I've spent enough time in my life fiddling with chains that I try to avoid them when I can. But in the mud they are the answer.
New rear tire chains of any quality will cost $1000.00 Cdn on the cheap side here.
These are just chains, nothing very heavy duty: https://www.canadianchains.ca/DuoGrip-Tractor-V-Bar-Chains-_p_30.html

You can enter your tire size for pricing.

JW IN VA":109idfwa said:
Looking at buying a set off chains for my 6640 RWD with loader.18.4-34 tires.Will fit my 7600 when I get it back going again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.Please don't suggest a FWD.Can't afford one right now.

Thanks.

Normally new couple hundred each tire i check eBay. I bought 4 wheeler chains for .99 each at tractor supply. Yes 99 cents each I never opened the box to see if a set

skyhightree1":2r2ceroc said:
JW IN VA":2r2ceroc said:

Thanks.

Normally new couple hundred each tire i check eBay. I bought 4 wheeler chains for .99 each at tractor supply. Yes 99 cents each I never opened the box to see if a set

I sure would like to go shopping with you! I think Hook needed you when he was looking for a new place!

Ive never seen them on a tractor or off road vehicle. Just used them one time on a car and that was 45 years ago on a '61 corvette in some hilly area in Tenn. :hide:
Are tractor chains something you could make? I'm sure it would be time consuming..

Hook2.0":f4hfj049 said:
sstterry":f4hfj049 said:
skyhightree1":f4hfj049 said:

I sure would like to go shopping with you! I think Hook needed you when he was looking for a new place!
I don't know, 18% off asking isn't too shabby :cowboy:

It's the other 82% that stinks.

Latest posts