tire chains falling off

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Every winter it's the same thing. Whenever I back up, my tractor tire chains work their way off. Going forward is no problem. In fact, going forward will work them back on if they haven't come too far off from going backward. Does this happen to everyone or are my chains just a problem? I have them on good and tight. :???:

angus9259":3852s5ul said:
Every winter it's the same thing. Whenever I back up, my tractor tire chains work their way off. Going forward is no problem. In fact, going forward will work them back on if they haven't come too far off from going backward. Does this happen to everyone or are my chains just a problem? I have them on good and tight. :???:

The only time we used chains on our trucks in 93 we used a little baling wire to just make sure since it was our first time. Must have been a hand me down. We have never had to put chains on tractors.

angus9259":1vjqlfte said:

Could you stretch 2 bungee cords in an X fashion, on each side of the tire, attaching them to the chains?

BeefmasterB":3dflx0bm said:
angus9259":3dflx0bm said:

Could you stretch 2 bungee cords in an X fashion, on each side of the tire, attaching them to the chains?
yeah only we use the really super strong ones that are rubber that you buy that are half 3/4 inch wide by half inch thick.

I'm going to try the bungee cord thing. Not sure how I can get them any tighter though . . . and why just backward??

angus9259":7djughgu said:
I'm going to try the bungee cord thing. Not sure how I can get them any tighter though . . . and why just backward??

Try after you put them on back up (they will be loose then) retighten them. they have to be getting loose when you back up or they wouldn't come off.

Thinking back to when I used to sue chains, seems like if they aren;t exactly connected at the same length on both sides that they would squirm off.

how are you putting them on, do you jack up the tire and put them on? or do you drive on to them

Latest posts