tips to keep creep feeder from being upended?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I try to keep creep feed out when I get close to weaning, but have had the adults (especially a bull) just turn the whole thing over. With soggy ground and constant threat of high water, I really can't move the adults around very much right now, but still want to feed some creep. Not this one, but it's built kinda like it.
4200-8113-LG.jpg

I figure I could drive 4 tee posts down to hold it, but am afraid the bull will just destroy the whole thing trying to turn it over anyway. Ideas?

Neighbor lady has one similar but a lot longer. Saw her bull wandering around the pasture last year wearing it like a hat. The easiest way is to build a creep pen. When we fed creep I made a 12X12 pen using heavy duty panels and built a creep gate across one end to exclude all but the calves.

I haven't used my feeders that are similiar to that in several years but we just used T-posts and it worked fine. A bull could still mangle it pretty good if he wanted to though.

dun":38qaw3qu said:
Neighbor lady has one similar but a lot longer. Saw her bull wandering around the pasture last year wearing it like a hat. The easiest way is to build a creep pen. When we fed creep I made a 12X12 pen using heavy duty panels and built a creep gate across one end to exclude all but the calves.

I did something similar only built it permanent next to the watering pen. I put a small gate that only allows small calves access on one end by the water tank then a larger creep gate on the other end. Worked nice for several years till the bulls decided to have a wrestling match and took one of the corner posts down and I've never bothered to repair it.

Which is a better creep gate--one with low horizontal bars the bigguns can't get under or one with narrow openings between vertical bars that the mature cattle can't squeeze between?
(I've seen them both ways)
A combination of the 2 types?

greybeard":1fqj84u0 said:
Which is a better creep gate--one with low horizontal bars the bigguns can't get under or one with narrow openings between vertical bars that the mature cattle can't squeeze between?
A combination of the two.

I built a pen out of cattle panel and put the gate Off the feeder in it . Put the feeder in the center of the pen. I also have a hog trap door in the fence . When the hogs get bad I close the creep gate and set the trap . If I could figure out how to keep the coons out I'd have it made . I've caught 10 in the last week and a half .

greybeard":wkw959eb said:
GB I had a heifer I kept from a baby. She ate from the creep feeder all her life. When she weighed 1200 lbs. and already had a calf that bytch would find a way to get inside an eat her fill....SHE finally just tore it to he&& getting in and out. When she was trying to get in and out she looked like fat woman trying to get into a pair of skin tight stretch pants.

GB I thought about this post and had a crazy idea that I would try which is putting a bucket of cement with eyebolt in it to act as an anchor by chaining the top rail to the eyebolt in the bucket as a deterrent put one on each side of the feeder is what I may try if I have those issues. I have a greedy heifer that loves the creep feeder she is too big for it but still continues to basically get on her knees and crawl in and tears her back up.

ResizedImage_1433257169056_zpsbd208446.jpg

TexasBred":16nmm1r0 said:
Sky that looks like the one I had. Nothing was going to keep her out.

Next step is a single hot line where I know she would touch it.. that may be a solution too gb

I had a Hereford bull and an Angus bull neither ever messed with my creep feeder, but when I got my Beefmaster bull he just said to heck with it and destroyed the cage. Thinking about building a cage with panels and t-post around the feeder so I can use it.

i use those screw in anchors. a 5 ft long one with a 6'' disc on the btm will keep it chained down..then they just quit trying after awhile.

skyhightree1":fgnywg6g said:
GB I thought about this post and had a crazy idea that I would try which is putting a bucket of cement with eyebolt in it to act as an anchor by chaining the top rail to the eyebolt in the bucket as a deterrent put one on each side of the feeder is what I may try if I have those issues.
I doubt that would do much to deter this bull--he's got enough strength to easily pick that feeder up full loaded and then some.
I'm gonna have to go with panels--i'm pretty sure tie downs on it is just going to result in a wrecked feeder.

greybeard":1safffkl said:
skyhightree1":1safffkl said:
GB I thought about this post and had a crazy idea that I would try which is putting a bucket of cement with eyebolt in it to act as an anchor by chaining the top rail to the eyebolt in the bucket as a deterrent put one on each side of the feeder is what I may try if I have those issues.
I doubt that would do much to deter this bull--he's got enough strength to easily pick that feeder up full loaded and then some.
I'm gonna have to go with panels--i'm pretty sure tie downs on it is just going to result in a wrecked feeder.

Those darn feeders are expensive you definitely don't want to be buying one a month. How about making a concrete pad to bolt it too permanently ? Make a pad then use axle bolts that are anchored in the concrete and a piece of steel to go over the feeder framing then bolt it down. Do you know what I mean?

Rajela":82n1pmkh said:
How about getting rid of the bull and getting another????
He's going, just as soon as I find a local red angus/brangus bull, tho after reading the thread in Breeds, I might look at Gerts..

Sky that looks like the feeder and the heifer I was dealing with except the heifer was even larger. Eventually tore the feeder up getting out when she would see or hear me coming.