Tips on storing and feeding hay.

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
Different storage methods were used and testing indicated the level of feed quality losses using each. Here's how various storage methods of large round bales fared in the UT research:
Stored on the ground with no cover, 37% loss.
Stored on tires with no cover, 29% loss.
Stored on the ground and covered, 29% loss.
Stored on tires and covered, 8% loss.
Net wrapped and on the ground, 19% loss.
Stored in the barn, 6% loss.
The research shows that losses can be significant depending on the type of storage used. The data also suggest that storage losses occur from moisture getting into both the top, and bottom of the bales. Thus, if hay can't be stored inside a barn, the next best option is to at least get the hay off the ground and under a tarp or plastic cover. Raymond L. Huhnke, Oklahoma State University Extension agricultural engineer provides more information on large round bale storage here.
http://beefmagazine.com/blog/4-tips-cut ... link=rceoc

Good info.
I started using some old telephone post the electric co. changed out going through my place a few years ago to set round bales on. They aren't real big in diameter and my tractors will straddle two of them about 3 feet apart. That and net wrapping does seem to cut down on the loss alot.

I set mine on the ground with a tarp cover. I have no where near that 29% loss they list. They must use the old blue tarps which I consider useless as a hay cover. And if I stored it with no cover I would far exceed the 37% loss listed. Uncovered hay here is a total waste by spring.

Not trying to be a smart... or anything but just pointing out it says % loss of feed quality, not quantity.

I store my rolls with string inside, and my net wrapped outside. I know climate plays into it a lot, but I see very little loss on my outside hay. I also feed it first. I have a neighbor. He only has 10 or 12 cows, so this wouldn't be practical for most of us. He sits his hay on telephone poles. He then puts a row of used tin on top of it with tires holding it down. I swear his hay looks almost as good as my barn kept hay.

I will throw a wrench in the spokes. Not because I think the data is wrong, but just give another perspective.
Consider your time and effort to tarp and/or mess with tires. Consider the cost of a barn. Now think about those cost ( time is money) and consider being better prepared to offset that cost by purchasing or producing your hay at 5, 10, or 25% less. Money is to made everywhere. A penny saved is oftentimes worth more than a penny earned. The OP's example is one. I am not criticizing

I will admit I use twine on my bales and just row them in the bale yard. I have no doubt that I lose some quality.

But I put up mostly alfalfa with some orchard/timothy grass, I put up the best quality hay I can. A lot of what I put up could be considered "dairy" quality. Even after whatever loss I experience it is still way better hay than beef cows need. I have thought of selling my best hay and buying back more tons of lower quality hay but can't convince myself it is worth the extra work. I have though baled some corn stalks and fed that 50-50 before and will do the same in the future if my hay supplies are short.

I'm not saying my way is right, just that I still need someone to convince me that I should store my hay any other way.

If you click on the link where is says:
Raymond L. Huhnke, Oklahoma State University Extension agricultural engineer provides more information on large round bale storage here.You can get more info on the study.
Liz

Latest posts