• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tips on clipping and grooming

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone had any good tips on clipping or grooming.

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
THESE ARE THE BEST TIPS YOU WILL EVER RECIEVE. So write them down...
1. You cant explain how to clip a heifer on a keyboard. Impossible.
2. LOG on to Sullivansupply.com and order some Kirk Stierwalt DVD's.
3. Look up Stierwalt Show Cattle Clinics on ShowSteers.com under listings by state(oklahoma) and see if he has a clinic coming up in your area. IF SO, Go to it.

Ryan

Reaction score
Good advice above. Here's what I would add:

- Practice, Practice, Practice. The more you clip the better you'll be.
- Patience. No need to rush the clipping. If you rush, then the odds of the animal acting up increase.
- Know your animal. The purpose of clipping the animal is to make it look its best.
- You can always take more hair off, but can't add it back. Be careful.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions and watch people that have been at it awhile.
- The cleaner the animal the better. It's easier to clip the animal and your blades will last longer.

Not specific, how-to tips, but I feel they are very important to a quality hair cutting experience.

Ryan

grand chaser09

Reaction score
snider and ryan said it best. you can't tell how to clip over the keyboard but i've tried to before. lol but i can tell you what clippers do the best and blades. and everythign i'm fixing to type came out of kirk stierwalts mouth from his clincs i've been to.

-head, tail, brisket, butt shading- t-84, medium blending, flat head horse clippers
-rest of body- x-block, super blocking, opti blocking
-neck- 5/8 or any blending blade!!

blackcattle

Reaction score
The American Angus association has a real nice video that some of our neighbors kids got that goes over washing, clipping, showing and general show preparation. I think you can buy it.

smnherf

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the Chuck McCullough dvd's? How are they compared to the Stierwalt dvd?

grand chaser09

Reaction score
smnherf":2hkqwvwg said:
Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the Chuck McCullough dvd's? How are they compared to the Stierwalt dvd?

i ve never heard of chuck mccullough. kirk stierwalt is the best and he has a great way of breaking everything down and he marks everything off in chalk so you can really see what he's talking about

Latest posts