Tips on Breeding stock heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone had any tips on raising, presenting, breeding, etc.. of Breeding Stock heifers for 4H because I will be showing one next year.

Well do you have a heifer picked out? What is she like? What exactly do you want to know more about??

LoveMoo11":2ep2x4tv said:
Well do you have a heifer picked out? What is she like? What exactly do you want to know more about??

thats my question too. also what breed are you looking into and when is the show your aiming for?

Is this a breeding heifer or market heifer project? I see far too many breeding heifers that are overfed and this affects their reproduction and milking abilities. Too many of the judges look at them as if they were a fat steer. Big difference.

BC":1hxp833k said:
Is this a breeding heifer or market heifer project? I see far too many breeding heifers that are overfed and this affects their reproduction and milking abilities. Too many of the judges look at them as if they were a fat steer. Big difference.

i have seen this happen to. and honestly i don't think any heifer should be that fatty.

yes, I already have my Heifer Picked out. Last Year I showed Her as Bucket/Bottle. I am hoping to show her as breeding heifer this year and next year show her as a cow/calf pair with her calf when she has it. A is recomended for breeding stock, I have her on a high-hay/forage diet. (Ground hay)

The County Fair is in Late June/early July and that is what i am shooting for. She is a WF Angus.

BC":3gobycep said:
The Judge at the PACE Shorthorn show in Ft. Worth last weekend was NOT impressed with fat heifers. He made it clear in his selections and comments.

texanstraders":14x01egw said:
BC":14x01egw said:
The Judge at the PACE Shorthorn show in Ft. Worth last weekend was NOT impressed with fat heifers. He made it clear in his selections and comments.

i dont blame him i am never impressed with fatty heifers.

iowa-angus- about your heifer, feed her twice a day and give her free range hay. show her the same way you would any other animal. as far as breeding her for her first calf use a bull with a low birth weight. do you want to breed to a clubby bull or back to an angus?

grand chaser09":20fg19bc said:
iowa-angus- about your heifer, feed her twice a day and give her free range hay. show her the same way you would any other animal. as far as breeding her for her first calf use a bull with a low birth weight. do you want to breed to a clubby bull or back to an angus?
I was thinking about using AI. I would use a purebred Black Angus. If she wasn't a WF I would use a hertfurd bull and get a WF, but since she has a white face already I will use angus.

Update: She is now bred, but we used one of our purebred angus bulls which has the lowest birthweight. Fair is not a week away!! Preperations have begun and today should all be spent on leading/record keeping/washing, etc etc etc....

Latest posts