tips for moving water

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I've got a well w/ a 2hp pump that moves 20 gal/min. I need to get water to the middle of my pasture about 1500 ft away. Or I've got a 1 acre pond that could supply water to my pasture about 700 ft away. The only electric is at the well-house for now. Terrain is flat and soil is soft. I can't figure out the best option--pvc or poly pipe the 1500 ft? Solar pump from the pond? Do I need to know velocity/flow, friction of pipe and do all kinds of math? I feel like I'm back in middle school algebra trying to do a story problem and don't know which variables are important. Any tips/suggestions are appreciated!

If you're just watering a few cows, I'd just put 3/4" black poly hose into the ground with a trencher from your existing well.. I'd rather not deal with extra pumps and solar and batteries, etc The math isn't that hard to do, there are charts.. Just off the top of my head with wild numbers, it'll be something like 2 psi loss per 100 ft @ 10GPM, so 1500 ft would be 15x2 = 30 PSI loss at that flow rate leaving you with 20 PSI if your well is set to 50psi.. remember that those are just some numbers I pulled out of my arse

I have one 3/4 waterline runs about 1400 ft from the pressure tank. Slight uphill push and no problems keeping a 6ft round tank full.

I just google earthed a water line that I ran and used for about 5 yrs before we put a well in and it was 1900 feet of 3/4" schedule 20 pvc about 800 ft was buried but the rest just layed in a fence row. Always kept the water trough full and offered a cool drank of water when working in that field.

M-5":2ew1nant said:
I just google earthed a water line that I ran and used for about 5 yrs before we put a well in and it was 1900 feet of 3/4" schedule 20 pvc about 800 ft was buried but the rest just layed in a fence row. Always kept the water trough full and offered a cool drank of water when working in that field.
What did you use for pump?

RanchMan90":2vicmp8z said:
M-5":2vicmp8z said:
What did you use for pump?

my main pump 3 stage 1hp stay rite 2" well and a 60gal tank . this well is about 175' deep and was drilled in the late 70's. I've replaced the motor on the pump twice in 17 yrs.

Latest posts