Tipping the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I read that you want to get along good with your butcher and that you should even tip them if your happy with their work ?

Anyone do or hear of that ?

Hadn't ever heard that. Our butcher comes to the farm,then takes quarters back to hang and later process. We try and accommodate him by having a loader tractor with a clean bucket ready, electricity handy, a clean dry place for him to work,and help any way we can. From what he says; that's way more than most people do.

Just trying to do what they ask, will be tip enough. Have the str there when they ask, clean your boots (don't drag mud and $h!t in their office), be patient if there is a problem (remember your dealing with a live animal. Things don't always go 100% as planned)

On my last trip of the year up to the butcher to pick up beef, I always get the staff a case of their favorite beverage, just to thank them for all the headaches me and my customers give them the past 4 months.

On my last trip of the year up to the butcher to pick up beef, I always get the staff a case of their favorite beverage, just to thank them for all the headaches me and my customers give them the past 4 months.
How many do you butcher on avg?

Your butcher already gets the hide, bones, offal, and scraps of meat. Which all have value, and get sold (if they are smart). How much more of tip do they need?
My butcher told me that they can't hardly GIVE hides away. They get $10 a hide. It costs $8 a hide in salt and labor. They said they spend $50 a week and the hides go in the dumpster. It's really a shame.

My butcher told me that they can't hardly GIVE hides away. They get $10 a hide. It costs $8 a hide in salt and labor. They said they spend $50 a week and the hides go in the dumpster. It's really a shame.
The last two years I hauled the hides out to the bone yard along with the head, feet, and guts. Coyotes and ravens have to eat.

Dave> This has nothing to do with this post but did not know where I could catch you. I see 5 Oregon counties have voted
to 'investigate' secceeding from Oregon to Idaho. From what I gather it is a rural versus Portand issue. I am sure there is
more to and wondered what your take is on the subject provided the information I have is accurate
thank you for your input in advance. LVR

Dave> This has nothing to do with this post but did not know where I could catch you. I see 5 Oregon counties have voted
to 'investigate' secceeding from Oregon to Idaho. From what I gather it is a rural versus Portand issue. I am sure there is
more to and wondered what your take is on the subject provided the information I have is accurate
thank you for your input in advance. LVR
Wait a minute, @Dave , you can't just leave this hanging, inquiring minds want to know..

I read that you want to get along good with your butcher and that you should even tip them if your happy with their work ?

Anyone do or hear of that ?
I have tipped our main processor a couple times. He does quarters for us when no one will. Not a big deal, I can split a half, but he gave me parameters to stay in and he could do it for me. So I tipped him on those. $100 per head. Maybe I should have tipped more. I dunno. Lol

It didn't go very far because last time he jumped my **** a little bit over a beef that got quartered.

I think he overbooked himself trying to condense some appointments. Blamed it on me though. Tried asking what the effort was worth bit he wasn't interested. Was damn rude. Said I wasted his day with the quarters.

Probably going somewhere else w the next group. There is a limited number of processors, sure. But damn. I cannot work with someone who doesn't like making money and cannot communicate because there are more of them out there.

I don't like getting mad at my money.

I have tipped our main processor a couple times. He does quarters for us when no one will. Not a big deal, I can split a half, but he gave me parameters to stay in and he could do it for me. So I tipped him on those. $100 per head. Maybe I should have tipped more. I dunno. Lol

It didn't go very far because last time he jumped my **** a little bit over a beef that got quartered.

I think he overbooked himself trying to condense some appointments. Blamed it on me though. Tried asking what the effort was worth bit he wasn't interested. Was damn rude. Said I wasted his day with the quarters.

Probably going somewhere else w the next group. There is a limited number of processors, sure. But damn. I cannot work with someone who doesn't like making money and cannot communicate because there are more of them out there.

I don't like getting mad at my money.
Was that the Treadway Processor?

Was that the Treadway Processor?
No. It was a place in Morristown. I've really liked the place/guy til then.

I am so very easy to get along with I like to think. I want us all to make money and grow. It's so very difficult to work with someone who doesn't want to grow and isn't money motivated. He is content with where he is at, which is great for him. Lol

I am willing to pay whatever to get what I want. I am also willing to break the halves down myself. I just can't read someone's mind.

I hope he was just having a bad day and will somehow make it right. But its been 3 months since, and I'm still fired up about it. Lol.

I have been in somewhat frequent contact with the owner of the one in Treadway. He is eager to grow and seems money motivated. He seems like a team player and wants to help the community. I share in all of that. I am going to take my business to him if we can work things out. I got a good feeling about it.

I have to say, the place in Treadway has the prettiest cuts of the places I have used. They look like retail. My only fault is with packaging. I wanna see if they can get a thicker material. I would gladly pay more for it. That's the only hitch at this time. Could have been they weren't handling the frozen meat in a gentle way. They were in learning mode still. It's something I am going to talk to him about.

Wait a minute, @Dave , you can't just leave this hanging, inquiring minds want to know..
Yep it was on the ballet here and other counties. It passed overwhelmingly. Trouble is it has to go through the legislator. The majority of them are from Portland/Salem/Eugene. They don't like us but aren't about to let us go. I learned in the process that this has happened in the not to distant past. In 1958 the Washington/Idaho boundary line was adjusted. I don't know how large that area was. This has been an on going issue in both Oregon and Washington. There are huge differences between the east and west sides of both states. Geographically, political, population, social, and economic differences.

Latest posts