Tipping aside from restaurants

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I know we gave discussed tipping in restaurants before, but it seems like these days things are being dreamed up for tips.

Some friends and I went to a honky tonk type place last night to hear a local band who had travelled to the bigger city. At one point,I had to use the restroom. As I approached the sink before exiting, a guy is ready with a soap pump, and then rips off a paper towel and hands it to me.

I thought it odd, but I said thank you and moved on. I later learned this Guy was supposed to be tipped. :shock:

My shock and first time exposure to this may show how ignorant of that type of culture I am, but I think that is ridiculous. Unlike a restaurant, I didn't ask for his assistance, and he didn't do anything I couldn't have done. It was no help to me whatsoever.

What else will somebody dream up for a tips?

TCRanch":22u32y4b said:
Never heard of a restroom attendant in a honky tonk place but fairly common in upscale venues. And it's always awkward.

Awkward is a great description. It didn't enhance my evening in any way, but it was awkward.

herofan":2bgul3yd said:
TCRanch":2bgul3yd said:
Never heard of a restroom attendant in a honky tonk place but fairly common in upscale venues. And it's always awkward.

Awkward is a great description. It didn't enhance my evening in any way, but it was awkward.
Next time tear off more paper and tell him to wipe your a$$ and you'll give him a $. :lol:

I haven't been to a club in Dallas in a lot of years, but those guys used to be everywhere. Most had bottles of cologne you could freshen yourself with. Yes, they expected to be tipped.

The only tip I have for someone in the bathroom is to stay the heck away from me. I tip my barber and the cleaning girls at the hotel if I stay 2+ days. I even tipped the girls selling ice cream today, tipping is good.

This is very common overseas. Bars, restaurants, even hotels. I first saw it in Japan, then the Philippines, Jamaica, Thailand, and S. Korea. Upscale or dive, every restroom had someone there to hand you something or trey to sell you something. They sold combs, condoms, cigars and cigarettes, lighters, matches, had lighter fluid for your Z ippo, flints..along with the foo juice smelly lotions. Most in the hotels, handed you a cloth towel, not paper towels, and of course expected a tip. Most places, they could also have you a girl in about 10 minutes, but I stayed away from that offer.
Most of the time they were sleeping in a chair when you walked in and only came to life when you turned the water on.

I tip my my barber, but you SHOULD SEE MY BARBER !

I also got in the habit of tipping the boys at the tire shop. When I drive up they will pull the jack out from another car and come running to get my vehicle. I don't mind it because I know that drunk that owns the place don't pay them much.

My sister in law is a "barber". Don't tell her I called her that. She expects a tip. I said how much. She said what ever you think the jobs worth. I said it's worth ten bucks cause that's what you said it would cost. If you want more than that then tell me up front how much.

It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.

I have never figured out why everyone expects a tip. A barber sets their price and you pay it. A taxi driver drives you from one spot to another and I've yet to have any do anything special other than their job.

When I bought the BBQ restaurant there was cafeteria type of line where you ordered what you wanted and someone portioned it out on a plate. I had a drink bar where you waited on yourself, yet my employees always wanted me to provide them with a tip jar. Most were paid above minimum wage and did nothing more than what was expected of them, so I always refused. I usually tip wait staff pretty well because I know how they are paid, but I don't just tip everyone when they are doing the minimum.

greybeard":3hwocuq9 said:
This is very common overseas. Bars, restaurants, even hotels. I first saw it in Japan, then the Philippines, Jamaica, Thailand, and S. Korea. Upscale or dive, every restroom had someone there to hand you something or trey to sell you something. They sold combs, condoms, cigars and cigarettes, lighters, matches, had lighter fluid for your Z ippo, flints..along with the foo juice smelly lotions. Most in the hotels, handed you a cloth towel, not paper towels, and of course expected a tip. Most places, they could also have you a girl in about 10 minutes, but I stayed away from that offer.
Most of the time they were sleeping in a chair when you walked in and only came to life when you turned the water on.
Never talked to a GI yet that didn't say "no" to the girls. :lol: :lol2:

Farm Fence Solutions":6mxwbz01 said:
It's pretty well common knowledge that fence builders generally get a 25% tip. Hopefully that'll stick, now that it's on the internet.

I wish! :cboy:

Only been "tipped" one time. Had a guy hand me and the other helper a $100 bill after we finished a job. Both of us was pretty shocked. It never happened before and hasn't happened since.

In high school I worked as a deck hand on salmon charter boats. That was back in the summer of 1968. We would occasionally get a tip of a dollar or two. The best one I ever got was some guy who had flown in from New York. He caught to large King Salmon and had no way of dealing with them so he gave them to me. The skipper had a commercial license so I packed them up to the cannery and sold them. They totaled just under 60 pounds at $0.76 a pound. That was about equal to three days pay.

Farm Fence Solutions":119umj1e said:

I don't tip Kevin but always add $20 for each of his crew members who work on my project. I tell the guys it is in the check to pay Kevin to make sure they get it. Those guys work hard and although it is not much, it lets them know I appreciate them.

Bright Raven":3dlzz0jp said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3dlzz0jp said:

I don't tip Kevin but always add $20 for each of his crew members who work on my project. I tell the guys it is in the check to pay Kevin to make sure they get it. Those guys work hard and although it is not much, it lets them know I appreciate them.

That's nice of you, Ron. I'm sure that they appreciate that. Hand them the $20 next time. It'll mean more to them, and they'll remember it next time they are on your place. We have several customers that can't stand the thought of us eating out of a dinner bucket, and take us out to lunch every day. A handful of them are famous for various reasons, so whoever is helping gets a good story to tell if they show up to work on the right days. :lol: The days that we hit home runs or work 18-20 hours, my help all get a $100 cash bonus, and they get it on the spot. I have no problem expecting folks to do what they are paid to do, but people appreciate being appreciated, no matter what it pays.

Latest posts