Tip of the ecomic problem

Help Support CattleToday:

What is a man supposed to do? I call this the Regulation Revolution. I am going to try to put together a post today or tomorrow about this issue in an attempt to tie everying I been posting about for the last couple weeks. In my opinion, something has to break.

HerefordSire":qf8invyd said:
In my opinion, something has to break.

I have caught the jist of your current postings, and while some think you are rambling or stirring the pot, I see that you are most certainly going in the "food for thought" direction.

Something is going to break. That's why I continually advise to get your wagons circled and keep your powder dry. It might not be pretty...

HerefordSire":1895h98g said:
What is a man supposed to do? I call this the Regulation Revolution. I am going to try to put together a post today or tomorrow about this issue in an attempt to tie everying I been posting about for the last couple weeks. In my opinion, something has to break.

I agree but I'm afraid it will be our backs. I think the dream I had about me being a plow mule has some truth to it.

Coincidently I was looking at expanding my cattle operation into the Frisco area and been sharpening my pencil to see how much money I'm going to make with this expansion. Please feel free to check my figures to see if I've missed anything.

As I see It I have a nurse tank and two sprayers which would be portable containers. The privelege of owning these in Frisco is only $270 per cont per year so this is only going to cost me $810.

Since I plan on holding on farm auctions the assembly privelege will only cost me $470 - assuming less than 1000 people show up.

Since I have 3 above ground tanks I will need these permitted for a mere $270/tank/year which is only $810.

Since I will need a parking lot for the auction the right to do this will only cost me $270/year.

Have two propane tanks. These will only cost me $270 apiece. Just another $540.

Since I like to keep snacks at the barn and people can toss some coins in the jar the right to do this will only be $105/year.

Since my daughter will probably want to continue her vegetable market this will only be another $904/year of course she may want to build a stand out of cardboard boxes so this will be just another $629 or a total of $1533/year.

I also have two dog kennels so I probably need to figure these in at $238 apiece per year. So another $476. (You think this will be tax deductible?)

My wife loved a pool so she will probably want one of these and how can I resist her when its only going to cost me $238/year.

Since some of my equipment is junk and I do sell it from time to time I probably best figure the salvage dealer's license as well cause this doesn't come to but $364.

Since I thought I might turn some of these Friscans on to some of the homegrown around here I think I probably will need to get the medical cannibas dispensatory license too. Don't want anyone calling me a drug dealer when I'm only a dispenser. Besides this isn't but $3919

Since I plan on having a grand opening I will need to get the Special Events License which isn't but $63.

Since I do like to take pictures I guess I'll need the photographer license as well. $206

Since I do gather and collect junk equipment I'll need the Junk Gatherer License too. $103

Since sales will be auctions the public outcry sales permit will also be neccessary - $294 plus 10% of sales. Now this could become expensive given the generic stock I'll be selling. Afterall, Imbalancers are pricey especially if printed up a good EPD for it.

So as I see it I won't owe but $10,138 in permits plus 10% of my gross on farm sales to get this operation legal. Now all I got to do is talk to the city, county and the department of labor to see what kind of money they are going to want from me for giving someone a job. Based on the above deals I doubt it will be much. Oh, and then I need to call the EPD and the EPA and the Corps of Engineers to be sure I don't pollute the water. Or maybe I best hire an environmental engineer first. Last quote I got from them for an environmental impact plan was only $1000/acre which is really not that bad considering they tell you which direction the water is going to run down a hill.

I'm really looking forward to investing my money into this venture cause I know its going to pay off really well. Maybe I ought to start another business here while I'm at it. Multi-tasking so to speak.

To check my figures here is a list of their permits and fees.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles ... iclist.pdf

They know it's brewing..........

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... BWPPxGyWaU

Wall Street Begins Campaign to Thwart 'Populist Overreaction'

By Robert Schmidt

June 25 (Bloomberg) -- Wall Street's largest trade group has started a campaign to counter the "populist" backlash against bankers, enlisting two former aides to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to spearhead the effort.

In memos of confidential meetings with top financial executives, the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association said it began this month the "execution phase" of the operation, which pledges to "embrace change" and accountability. The plan targets policy makers and the media in New York, London, Washington and Brussels and calls for a "city-by-city, grass roots" approach.

The securities industry "must be perceived as part of the solution, which will allow it to better defend against populist overreaction," the documents, prepared for a June 17 meeting of SIFMA's board, said.

The board meeting minutes and staff-written papers, obtained by Bloomberg News, outline the program crafted by polling, lobbying and public relations companies paid at least $85,000 a month. The memos provide a glimpse, in often candid language, into how Wall Street is grappling with its pariah status.

"It is imperative that in this historic period of reform, the industry be recognized as playing a positive role in seeking change and providing solutions to the problems we face," one of the documents said. "There is currently widespread skepticism about the industry's commitment to this needed change."

Lobbying Congress

The internal papers call for using regional securities firms, many of which have escaped notoriety in the financial crisis, to push the industry's message with their local members of Congress. The plan notes that brokers across the country can also be used.

"The foot power of the private client group has proven to be effective in blunting populist messages in the past," said board member Paul Purcell, chief executive officer of Milwaukee investment firm Robert W. Baird & Co., according to the minutes of one meeting.

To advise on the strategy, the trade group turned to a bipartisan roster of consultants. Such advice doesn't come cheap and SIFMA is discussing dipping into its reserves to cover some of the costs, according to one memo.

Michele Davis, Paulson's former spokeswoman, and Jim Wilkinson, his former chief of staff, are among those leading the effort. SIFMA is paying their firm, Brunswick Group LLC, a monthly retainer of $70,000, the documents show. Both Davis and Wilkinson declined to comment. Paulson left office in January.

Democratic Pollster

Assisting them is a Democratic polling company, Brilliant Corners Research and Strategies, which is paid $5,000 a month. It is run by pollster Cornell Belcher, who worked on President Barack Obama's campaign. BKSH & Associates Worldwide, a lobbying firm chaired by Republican strategist Charlie Black, signed on for $10,000.

In response to questions about the push for an image makeover, SIFMA President Timothy Ryan said the organization has taken a lead advocating for a federal systemic risk regulator and has pushed for increased government power to wind down financial firms that don't own banks. He also touted the group's recently issued recommendations on executive compensation.

"This effort, which is not uncommon for a trade association, is designed to ensure our ideas for improved accountability, oversight and transparency are heard by the widest possible audience," Ryan said.

Industry's 'Duty'

The industry has "a duty to help craft a solution, so we'll continue leading by example in our efforts to properly safeguard our financial system and serve the needs of the overall economy, local communities and individual investors," he added.

SIFMA represents about 600 securities firms, brokerages and asset-management companies. It counts among its members the biggest U.S. banks, including Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Citigroup Inc. and JPMorgan Chase & Co., which have received capital injections from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program. Bloomberg Tradebook, a broker-dealer subsidiary of Bloomberg News's parent Bloomberg LP, also belongs.

While financial companies' lobbying clout has been reduced in the crisis, SIFMA's memos said that Wall Street can't afford to be left out as the Obama administration and Congress push for increased oversight, executive-pay limits and other restrictions likely to affect the industry for decades.

"The mess is so big that we all have to work together," minutes from one meeting said.

'Lot of Anger'

The group's polling "indicated that there is a lot of anger out there and feelings that the industry is not focused," the minutes said. While "Wall Street and CEOs" received low scores, local banks and brokers got better marks.

The outside consultants join SIFMA staff for a daily 10:00 a.m. conference call, "given the importance, complexity and real-time nature of the campaign style-implementation," according to one of the memos.

Still, that kind of approach may not be enough for Wall Street to lift its reputation, said Bill Brown, a visiting professor at Duke University School of Law in Durham, North Carolina.

"It's right for them to try to come back from this, but they have to realize that they are not going to be reborn into what they were," said Brown, who was global co-head of listed derivatives at Morgan Stanley. "The best P.R. comes from doing good, not from having to manage your image."

Joe...it doesn't make sense to me. We were founded upon being creative and risking startup capital to supply people's needs. A good honest days work to feed our families and start over the next day. Nowadays, it seems like the opposite is happening, meaning, we try to make it unaffordable to supply other's needs. As an entrepreneur, I can't function properly when all my time is required to be legal for the legalists.

grannysoo....The big money must be moving their funds to online brokerage firms because they don't trust the big boys anymore. Are you Bernie Madoff? Are you my mother?

Very good article showing how an attempt to control minds which control wallets. Just like smoking, salt, chloresterol, church, etc.

HerefordSire":246tcnb6 said:
Very good article showing how an attempt to control minds which control wallets. Just like smoking, salt, chloresterol, church, etc.

Things change when people get hungry....

HerefordSire":31mcubfe said:
Joe...it doesn't make sense to me. We were founded upon being creative and risking startup capital to supply people's needs. A good honest days work to feed our families and start over the next day. Nowadays, it seems like the opposite is happening, meaning, we try to make it unaffordable to supply other's needs. As an entrepreneur, I can't function properly when all my time is required to be legal for the legalists.

It doesn't make sense to me either and this mule is about to sit down - carrot or no carrot.

I know one thing for sure....you cut off the tobacco supply of 60,000,000 tobacco smokers (or make it unaffordable) people will become very volatile.

The reality is that cost estimates for climate legislation are as unreliable as the models predicting climate change. What comes out of the computer is a function of what politicians type in.

That is for sure! Crap In = Crap Out.

Trust that our government (at least trust that the elected officials will be making a nice tidy personal profit for themselves and their friends) will do the right thing by passing this cap and trade bill that (will personally put a lot of money in the pockets of the select few) will eliminate all of the global warming that has been caused by (actually, global warming created by humans is a hoax) the foolish humans and their automobiles (not to mention that 1 volcano eruption can cause more CO2 than all of the cars in the world) and their industrialized society.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

1982vett":2thwihz3 said:
The reality is that cost estimates for climate legislation are as unreliable as the models predicting climate change. What comes out of the computer is a function of what politicians type in.

That is for sure! Crap In = Crap Out.

"Two wrongs don't make a right" is why when China and India pollute without Cap and Trade, the jet steam will being it right over to California and stop and hover over Sacramento.

grannysoo":1inmfgzq said:
Trust that our government (at least trust that the elected officials will be making a nice tidy personal profit for themselves and their friends) will do the right thing by passing this cap and trade bill that (will personally put a lot of money in the pockets of the select few) will eliminate all of the global warming that has been caused by (actually, global warming created by humans is a hoax) the foolish humans and their automobiles (not to mention that 1 volcano eruption can cause more CO2 than all of the cars in the world) and their industrialized society.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Wait until the cow crowd finds out we won't have to pay $87 per cow, but only $50 per cow. Won't we be relieved!

Latest posts