Timing of selling a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Currently in a quandary as far as what to do about selling our 3 yr old bull. I had intended to keep him a while longer but bought a young bull that is unrelated and thus don't have to worry about him breeding any closely related cattle. Have had the big bull up for a few weeks and he is in good shape, kind of hate to pound him out but thinking that might be thing to do. He isn't wild but is wary of people he doesn't know. He doesn't pay any mind to me, but an example would be someone came to look at him the other day and he whipped around with his head up and kept his sights on him. Needless to say they understandably passed on him.
I know the market fluctuates and isn't time predictable but have heard that pound cattle tend to go up around Memorial Day I guess to coincide with summer grilling out ( although I like to cook out sometimes in the winter too.). I am wondering if I should take him to market soon or if it would make any difference in waiting a couple weeks or so? I am guessing him to weigh around a ton give or take a 100 pounds or so.

Ky hills":2p02fj84 said:
Currently in a quandary as far as what to do about selling our 3 yr old bull. I had intended to keep him a while longer but bought a young bull that is unrelated and thus don't have to worry about him breeding any closely related cattle. Have had the big bull up for a few weeks and he is in good shape, kind of hate to pound him out but thinking that might be thing to do. He isn't wild but is wary of people he doesn't know. He doesn't pay any mind to me, but an example would be someone came to look at him the other day and he whipped around with his head up and kept his sights on him. Needless to say they understandably passed on him.
I know the market fluctuates and isn't time predictable but have heard that pound cattle tend to go up around Memorial Day I guess to coincide with summer grilling out ( although I like to cook out sometimes in the winter too.). I am wondering if I should take him to market soon or if it would make any difference in waiting a couple weeks or so? I am guessing him to weigh around a ton give or take a 100 pounds or so.

I'd urge you to at least try to sell him on Craigslist before you send him to big meat packing plant in the sky. What breed?

TT

Fat cattle prices are effected by start/end of grilling season.
I've never noticed it effecting slaughter bull prices.
Slaughter bull prices seem to drop at the end of breeding season when a glut of them hit the market.

Burger cattle peak during June during a normal year. Not sure how often we have one...
I have been burned holding burger cattle till late June. I think buyers load up for holiday grilling, but it takes a couple weeks for beef to get thru the pipeline.
So I would move him in the next 3 weeks.

TennesseeTuxedo":wouqg709 said:
Ky hills":wouqg709 said:

I'd urge you to at least try to sell him on Craigslist before you send him to big meat packing plant in the sky. What breed?

TT

I would have liked to have sold him to go back to a farm, but his high alert posturing around folks other than me has caused me some concern recently. I actually had advertised him on there a few weeks ago.
Got a call about him as a result of CL, and it seemed very suspicious. I have sold a couple items and bought a few things off of CL, but have been troubled by the frequency of scams associated with it.

Ky hills":fnijut38 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":fnijut38 said:
Ky hills":fnijut38 said:

TT

I would have liked to have sold him to go back to a farm, but his high alert posturing around folks other than me has caused me some concern recently. I actually had advertised him on there a few weeks ago.
Got a call about him as a result of CL, and it seemed very suspicious. I have sold a couple items and bought a few things off of CL, but have been troubled by the frequency of scams associated with it.

I sold 6 bulls via Craig's last year. Didn't have any scammers.

TennesseeTuxedo":2jm9dbu7 said:
Ky hills":2jm9dbu7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2jm9dbu7 said:

TT

That's good, it can be a really good way to sell and find things to buy. We have run into several scams and it just makes me not want to bother with CL anymore.

Ky hills":1hgeuxrj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1hgeuxrj said:
Ky hills":1hgeuxrj said:

That's good, it can be a really good way to sell and find things to buy. We have run into several scams and it just makes me not want to bother with CL anymore.

Well maybe you could sell him to some unsuspecting nube from right here on CT? You'd have to deliver of course, lol.

List him on Craigslist and if no takers I would get him to the market. Right now is the time to sell if somebody is wanting a bull. I would much rather have a good young mature bull as to pay three prices for a mud fat yearly that will go all to pieces. His demeanor is a turn off if he acts up while somebody is looking at him.

Most of your scammers on CL want to text or email only. I am seeing more and more that sellers are only taking calls.

Banjo":3p0qp5sb said:
Most of your scammers on CL want to text or email only. I am seeing more and more that sellers are only taking calls.

I have seen several of the text or email scams. usually they want you to send them money for a check written for more than the amount. Last year we thought we had found an rtv or utv for a heck of a deal, the more the story went though it got suspicious and we dropped communication.
The situation over the bull may have been ok but it sounded odd to me. Got a text then call, the jist of it was they were acting as a broker for a customer and wanting to recieve the amount of money between my asking price and whatever lowest price the customer bought it for. I had been seeing some CL ads wher folks would say they did not need help selling their items, maybe that was in regards to similar situations.

Latest posts