Times up !!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1u7d05tl said:
Times up.. everything is ready.. couldn't kill today it was raining. Stay tuned.

So......time wasn't up...a reprieve, last minute call from the governor...

GB... Unfortunately the phone call from the governor never came... We did 7 today my fingers and arms were cramping.. . NEVER again.

True Grit Farms":134n7e2h said:
Harvey's had pork butts on sale last week for $0.99 lb. I bet that is going to be some mighty fine eating right there.
It was $0.98/lb, bought four of them for $36 and had bbq enough for 30 people.

Brings back memories of times I did not like! When I was in college, I had to work at the "abattoir", (fancy name for slaughter house on campus). We had a fancy machine that had paddles on it, with hot water. We put the pig in, and it came out mostly clean of all hair! I would have to clean by hand what it did not get.... yuck. I will never forget the smell. Then cleaning the machine after we were done for the day.... double yuck!
I prefer my pork lean, so we process our pigs at about 260 pounds now.

The pictures are cool, thanks for sharing.

Nothing better than farm raised bacon. The crap you get from the grocery store pales in comparison. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

True Grit Farms":vwncbvbv said:
skyhightree1":vwncbvbv said:
All done cutting

Now the fun begins.

Yea it has and my hands and arms are cramping..

msplmtneer":vwncbvbv said:
Are you going to cure and smoke any or just cut and freeze? :tiphat: looking good!

I am dry curing/smoking some hams and maybe a couple shoulders doing some sausage curing and smoking the bacon then freeze some butts and picnics I got tons of fat meat and fat for deer sausage next year im freezing some

I've been trying to think how old I was the last time granddad slaughtered hogs like this. I'm thinking around 8 years and I look at those pics and that smell comes back. After all the cutting he would pack them with salt in a wooden box that was taller than wide. Everyone around would tell him that he was packing the cuts backwards and when you got down to the better cuts they were so salty that boiling them didn't seem to make a big difference.

Latest posts