Times up not a happy bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Number 64 is a Rainmaker ET bull, he comes from Gizmom and is working good for us. I put our other Gizmom bull in with the girls he's a CC&7 ET bull that I've had on heifers.

True Grit Farms":3572aw5f said:
Number 64 is a Rainmaker ET bull, he comes from Gizmom and is working good for us. I put our other Gizmom bull in with the girls he's a CC&7 ET bull that I've had on heifers.

I haven't seen dry dirt since July.........

TG can you give a few pointers on what you looked for in slecting this one? I know good feet are important. BSE numbers and passing vet check. I like this one because he is long and in proportion - penis to rear hock is as good as penis to front.

I ask because Friday meeting with bull breeder to pick out another bull. My bull, we bought six months ago, fell and broke front leg on snow and ice. He was the best bull ever - GENTLE.

On the bright side, we labeled him crippled and got a check for $919 yesterday at the sale barn. That will pay a portion of new one.

BrangusUSA":mw6zllia said:
TG can you give a few pointers on what you looked for in slecting this one? I know good feet are important. BSE numbers and passing vet check. I like this one because he is long and in proportion - penis to rear hock is as good as penis to front.

I ask because Friday meeting with bull breeder to pick out another bull. My bull, we bought six months ago, fell and broke front leg on snow and ice. He was the best bull ever - GENTLE.

On the bright side, we labeled him crippled and got a check for $919 yesterday at the sale barn. That will pay a portion of new one.
One of the real breeders on CT need to answer your questions, I'm not qualified. Personally I just look at the way a bull moves and looks. It's not hard to pick out a nice bull when he's with 10 or 15 other bulls. Those folks that are selling one or two bulls worry about numbers for a selling point. Numbers don't mean anything to me, the seller will let you know about the good numbers. So my advice is to circle the one's they talk about and ask about the one's they don't.

True Grit Farms":2wxe059f said:

This bull has held up good in our commercial herd, very easy keeping.
Real nice bull. CC&7 will also calm the wildest cow's calves to lambs

True Grit Farms":11fnnece said:

As long as you're happy, I'm happy.

gcreekrch":3fjx8g6w said:
True Grit Farms":3fjx8g6w said:

As long as you're happy, I'm happy.
I sure ain't gonna make any excuses, he does look kinda funky in the pictures. Here's the other picture I took.

Taking pictures of cows, calves and bulls is not easy. I took one of a bull a couple of weeks ago and posted it on face book. A good friend called me about an hour after and said haven't I taught you better than to post photos of your stock out of position.....well yes but sometimes it is just hard to get them at the right minute. The Rainmaker bull is better than he looks in the photo, at least I think he is.

This is a photo of his flush brother. C37 has been working pretty dang hard since he was a yearling. We sold 1/2 interest in him as a yearling. We used him last year on 42 head of heifers, loaded him up and hauled him the end of March 1/2 way to our partners. Scott met us in Montgomery and hauled him to his place to go to work in a Spring calving herd. Scott finished with him we got him back in November and he has been out on cows since January 1st. So he has worked pretty hard for a young bull. The calves we have on the ground out of him are deep and thick and have plenty of growth. He is covering our two and three year old group this year so has 44 head to cover for us this year. I know he bred for or five over the weekend.

The CC&7 bull that Grit has we are using his maternal brother on our heifers this year. He was at the Florida bull test and did really well but I wanted to use him so we brought him home. He has been sold but will not be delivered until after March 1st. The dam just had her third calf a heifer out of Charlo. Both of the bulls TG got should be the kind to keep females out of.

gizmom

Latest posts