Timed A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 5-day CIDR technique vs. the seemingly more common 7-day CIDR technique?

The best I can tell, it's a shot of GnRH and CIDR inserstion, shot of lutalyse and CIDR removal after the 5th complete day, A.I. and a 2nd shot of GnRH 72 hours after CIDR removal.

Any other techniques to significantly increase the efficiency with artificial insemination? The best I can tell, 65-70% conception is exceeding expectations.

Thanks,

EC

Have used both. Only been doing the 5-day protocol for 2 spring-breeding (early June) groups, and small numbers, at that - still breeding on observed heat - not timed AI; can't say with any certainty that we're getting better heats or conception rates, as cow numbers in these groups are very small. Fall cows here are not synched, just bred on observed heats.
I don't like having to pull 'em in and run 'em through the chute another time, for that second prostaglandin injection - but I'm not in charge ;>)

Only things getting better than 50-60% is observed heats, hard culling for fertile cows, and a good AI tech. A good mineral program is a must for any type of AI.

Latest posts