Time

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've been reading this board now for going on a year... I was just wondering how long some of you others have been here giving/ recieving advice.. Jake

[email protected]

I don't remember who posted the first question on these boards, Jake. I posted one of the first dozen or so posts, though. Another very early poster was Darla of Star K Murray Greys, Linda from Utah was here early, don't remember when Dunmovin' Farms came along but am glad he did. We had a couple of Hereford guys from Kansas for a while, Ed and Bob, but don't see much of them lately. And we had Mylum, is anyone is left who remembers him?

I've been here since the start, but have been less obvious lately, with extra work due to the BSE border thing.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

Funny you should mention Mylum, just the other day, I was wondering whatever happened to him. He kept things pretty interesting. I still chuckle when I think of the post he put up about how his new girlfriend was so pretty, not pretty to look at, but on the inside. Talk about a back-handed compliment.

I've probably been here for six months. I stumbled upon this board when scanning the net for a bovine related question. I'm glad I found it. I'm usually receiving advice rather than giving it.

> I've been reading this board now
> for going on a year... I was just
> wondering how long some of you
> others have been here giving/
> recieving advice.. Jake

i registered our ranch and website under the advertising lists about a year ago but just started visiting the discussion boards about 2 months ago.

> I've been here since the start,
> but have been less obvious lately,
> with extra work due to the BSE
> border thing.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~what ever happen to "dully" he kept a everybody riled up over them bramas.

> border thing.

> Farms Alberta Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~what ever happen to "dully" he kept a everybody riled up over them bramas.~~~~~~~~Tc

I've missed your input, Jason. But I guess it's a new world for everyone in the Canadian cattle business since the BSE incident. My best wishes to you and your family for the holiday season and beyond.

> border thing.

> Farms Alberta Canada

> recieving advice.. Jake This might sound odd to you folks but I don't have any cattle and I live in Los Angeles. It's always been my dream to live on a ranch/farm since I spent the summer on my grandmother's farm in Idaho when I was eight. Now in my forties the most I can hope for is to retire on a small farm and run a couple cows. I found this sight about six months ago and read through the archives. I must say that you folks are the nicest and knowledgeable people I've met. Thanks for allowing me to dream through lurking on this board. George

[email protected]

George, don't give up yet on your dream. Land is still pretty cheap here in Oklahoma. Personally, I'm glad to see some city folks interested in ranching. Feel free join in on the conversations. Happy Holidays...

> George, don't give up yet on your
> dream. Land is still pretty cheap
> here in Oklahoma. Personally, I'm
> glad to see some city folks
> interested in ranching. Feel free
> join in on the conversations.
> Happy Holidays...

I agree - don't give up. I went with my secretary and her husband to pick up some fire wood at a place where the man had a dairy farm. I told them that I had always wanted to get some cows. She said if I was serious she would start working it into the budget. To make a long story short - I was a cowboy within 4 months of that trip. It truely is wonderful...my initial plans were to get about 3 or 4 herefords - now I've got a pasture ful of Angus! Plans change and plans grow! Live your dreams.

[email protected]

I have been lurking around this board for 2 years plus I think. I remember mylum and all the other ones you posted. It seems the breed of day changes ever so often. We had angus, beefalo, murry grey's, Simmi's, brahmas, now we seem to be on texas long horns.

pat

> I don't remember who posted the
> first question on these boards,
> Jake. I posted one of the first
> dozen or so posts, though. Another
> very early poster was Darla of
> Star K Murray Greys, Linda from
> Utah was here early, don't
> remember when Dunmovin' Farms came
> along but am glad he did. We had a
> couple of Hereford guys from
> Kansas for a while, Ed and Bob,
> but don't see much of them lately.
> And we had Mylum, is anyone is
> left who remembers him?

newbie here also....I found this site a few months ago while looking for info on raising a few head of cattle for some land we bought....most folks in here are very helpful, you will find out out pretty quick who knows what they are doing and who just thinks they do! I have found this site to be one of the friendliest around as far as helping folks and I am even buying my first cows from a man I met in this forum...he happens to live about 30 miles from me and has been very helpful with any questions I have had and my wife and I went out and looked over his herd last weekend and picked out a couple cow/calf pairs and a bred mama, and hopefully he'll be delivering them to us this weekend! From a newbie standpoint, this forum has been excellent!

> recieving advice.. Jake

I found this site a couple of months ago and now try to check it out daily. I've been in the cattle business for over 50 years, but have never heard of some of the breeds discussed. Never seen many of those discussed up here in Montana. Also like to hear about the diversity's in climate- I've always thought of Texas as a dry climate and then hear about areas with 20-30 inches of rain. And then other areas with 40+ inches of rain. Makes our less than 11 inches this year feel like a desert.

Right now we have 4 foot high snow drifts- snow on the ground since the last week of October- All this while I read your posts about the heat and heat tolerant cattle. All interesting.

> I found this site a couple of
> months ago and now try to check it
> out daily. I've been in the cattle
> business for over 50 years, but
> have never heard of some of the
> breeds discussed. Never seen many
> of those discussed up here in
> Montana. Also like to hear about
> the diversity's in climate- I've
> always thought of Texas as a dry
> climate and then hear about areas
> with 20-30 inches of rain. And
> then other areas with 40+ inches
> of rain. Makes our less than 11
> inches this year feel like a
> desert.

> Right now we have 4 foot high snow
> drifts- snow on the ground since
> the last week of October- All this
> while I read your posts about the
> heat and heat tolerant cattle. All
> interesting.

Yes it's incredible how climates are so different.Yesterday here in our part of the world,the northern part of NSW Australia at elevation 3,000 feet we had our hottest day for summer,35 degrees celcius (37 degrees is about 100 fahrenheit) so it was 97/98 F. Some parts to our east in the subtropical area nearer to the coast had temps to 45 degrees Celcius (about 105/107 F) We had a slow start to summer with quite cool temperatures for the first week or so. We need rain again,our average per year is 34/35 inches. This year we have had about 26". Most fell in the first 3 months and the last 3 months. Our best rain is supposed to be over summer. The best for the last few years has been in Autumn (Fall to Americans) Keep Warm Colin

[email protected]

Latest posts