Time to sell; best markets?

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've been told, kindly but firmly, that I HAVE to finish upgrading the house but that the farm is taking all my time! ;-) It's actually a good time as I now know a few things about raising cattle that would have been helpful to know back in 2008 when we bought our herd of 6 bred angus. Things like:
- make sure your perimeter fence is solid around the whole property
- mow down all the brush (multi-flora rose, in my case) that makes putting up temporary fences such a (literal) pain and that limits the available forage
- run your water lines to all parts of the farm so that you don't have to spend those extra hours (added up over the course of months) running hose to the distant paddock

I could use the remainder of the year and early next spring, before I buy back in, to, at least, stay on top of my mowing.

In any case, I'm looking to sell my 9 cows, 2 heifers, 3 steers (these'll go to the butcher and customers) and 9 calves. The action market up here (I'm in central update NY) seems very poor and I don't think I'd do very well. I'll probably put an ad in our northeast AG magazine. There are some cattle buyers up that I could call; I'd expect their offers would be low? Anyone have direct experience with buyers? Assuming the price is reasonable it might be worth it just to have it all done with with one phone call. Anyone here looking for Angus?

Thanks
JR

Just remember that the buyer may offer you more than market (for farm fresh animals- for lack of a better word) or less depending on the buyer and what he will do with them. Also consider the hauling and comission at the sale. i always like to know exactly what i am going to get and not any what ifs, so i usually sell to a buyer

They should sell real well and easily. Right now sellers are in the drivers seat.

Howdyjabo":27ydkphk said:
They should sell real well and easily. Right now sellers are in the drivers seat.
Good news! But ... how, if you're a new guy (only doing it for about 4 years), do you find the buyer? Ads in, say, Country Folks? Call up the one cattle buyer I know of (from the paper, I think)? None of the local farmers I know up here would, I don't think, have much to say about it (typically dairy).

Sorry I have no clue about your area.
Mine is slam full of cattle and its a no brainer.

I wouldn't put it past the Dairy guys being able to help- they market beef too.
Local Stockyard???
Drive around and find some local beef cattle and ask the owner????
Local paper???

Where you at in NY? I'm in the Cortland area. I know Empire livestock has a couple sites around and do auctions every week. How much you looking to get out of them?

I love the Cortland area- just went home for a visit and drove thru there.
Durn shame they put 81 right thru the middle of it.

Waldershrek":1ibhu73l said:
Where you at in NY? I'm in the Cortland area. I know Empire livestock has a couple sites around and do auctions every week. How much you looking to get out of them?
I'm up north of Utica. Hilly, clayish, wet ... pretty nice though ;-)