Time to finish

Help Support CattleToday:

farm36

Reaction score
A beef calf born to finish how long does it take and what weight. I know this is a big question but if you push the animal to get the most what can he do and how. A calf born in the fall and mom is on a good ration to make milk and the calf is put on a growing ration during the winter .

farm36":1n03acjn said:
A beef calf born to finish how long does it take and what weight. I know this is a big question but if you push the animal to get the most what can he do and how. A calf born in the fall and mom is on a good ration to make milk and the calf is put on a growing ration during the winter .

I guess for starters how about sharing with us what flavor of calf your starting with.............thanks.

easily can get these cattle to finish in 11 months, assuming you early wean them (60-80 days) and feed a finishing diet

You need to wean these calves early, atleast by 120 days (60 is probably the earliest you would want to do, or atleast after cows hit peak milk). Take these calves and step them up on feed. These will probably be atleast 225 day cattle, depending on starting weight. Advantages of this would include: good marbling, cattle convert very efficiently (5.5 or less), and tender beef since the cattle are so young. Feed costs are pretty steep with this and cattle don't finish at a heavy weight.

simtal":2497q9k7 said:
You need to wean these calves early, atleast by 120 days (60 is probably the earliest you would want to do, or atleast after cows hit peak milk). Take these calves and step them up on feed. These will probably be atleast 225 day cattle, depending on starting weight. Advantages of this would include: good marbling, cattle convert very efficiently (5.5 or less), and tender beef since the cattle are so young. Feed costs are pretty steep with this and cattle don't finish at a heavy weight.
This concept probably would not work real well for someone buying by the pound and selling by the pound.

Latest posts