Time to finish

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
Take a look at the following steers and give your opinions on how they look, and if they are ready to start finishing out on grain yet. Please keep in mind, this is my first attempt at growing my own beef, and I also know that I didn't start out with the highest quality to begin with. I figure I want to keep them in my pasture until they are around 1000lbs and then finish them for 60 days on grain. How much would you say they weigh now? Do they seem to be getting enough to eat now? As you can tell from the pictures my pasture is shot from the drought, so I am supplementing everyday with hay.

100_0288a.JPG

100_0287a.JPG

60 days of grain isn;t going to do much for them unless you also feed grain up till that time.

dun

It's hard to say what they weigh right now, maybe 700 lbs? I would pour the hay and grain to them, especially since your in a drought. They don't look bad to me but they have a way to go.

Is that your pasture they are standing in? I would say "shot" is being overly optemistic.

Are you wanting to finish just the 2 bigger animals? or all 4 (I think)? I am thinking they are dairy influenced? I think the 2 larger should be getting ramped up on their feed now... once up to speed, I think it'll take 90+ days to finish, but they will be heavier than 1000# by my guesstimate.

Yes, I am just wanting to finish my two larger ones. So should I pen them up now, and start pouring on the grain, or should I let them keep eating what's left of my pasture (supplemented with hay) for another couple of months, and then start them on grain?

Thanks

Tim

tim1970":34hm1q3l said:
Yes, I am just wanting to finish my two larger ones. So should I pen them up now, and start pouring on the grain, or should I let them keep eating what's left of my pasture (supplemented with hay) for another couple of months, and then start them on grain?

Thanks

Tim

Start them now!