Time to but out......

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
New year, tough new tobacco laws
“The different parts of this bill make it a world-class policy.”

Allison Wall
Friday December 28, 2007

Alberta is shedding the image of the Malboro man as it gears up to introduce one of the strongest tobacco laws in Canada and the world.
In November, the provincial government passed Bill 45 â€" the Tobacco Reduction Act â€" with support from all sides of the House. The bill will make all workplaces and establishments completely smoke-free and will also ban tobacco retail displays and promotion, along with removing tobacco sales from pharmacies, healthcare settings and post-secondary institutions.
“The different parts of this bill make it a world-class policy,” said Kim Tradewell, a member of Lloydminster Action for Smoke-Free Places, adding there is only a handful of jurisdictions such as Ireland, Iceland, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Northwest Territories and Nunavut that have gone as far.
The bill, which is set to protect all Albertans from the effects of second-hand smoke, will be implemented in three parts â€" on Jan. 1, 2008 all work and public places will be smoke-free; on July 1, 2008 all powerwalls will be banned and on Jan. 1, 2009 there will be a complete ban on tobacco products in pharmacies, post-secondary institutions and other health-care facilities.

“The one reason this was so important was that there was so many different bylaws throughout the province,” said Shannon Haggarty, spokesperson for Alberta Health and Wellness. “This allows for one blanket piece of legislation so that people know exactly when they go somewhere that it is going to be no smoking.”
Each year the provincial government spends more than $470 million on health care costs associated with tobacco use, which Haggarty says prompted the introduction of Bill 45.
“The minister has said a number of times that we are losing a lot of people through he effects of smoking and second-hand smoke,” said Haggarty, adding there is also an economic issue of people missing time from work.
A recent report released by Campaign for Smoke-Free Alberta says the bill will reduce absenteeism, sick leave and disability from tobacco use. Each year, Alberta employers lose more than $1.3 billion from lost productivity.
Bill 45 will only affect the Alberta side of the Border City.
“Lloydminster is unique and does fall under Saskatchewan and Alberta regulations,” said Tradewell. “The only thing the Saskatchewan side won’t include will be the ban on sales in pharmacies and post-secondary institutions.
While the final phase won’t be complete till 2009, Tradewell expects more changes to be made, such as the change of packaging.

They are also contemplating a huge fine for people that smoke in their vehicles with children present.

I quit smoking a year ago yesterday, BUTT I am against being told what to do in too many aspects by Government. I whole heartedly agree that kids have a right to breathing clean air, and you're a dumbass if you smoke with them in a vehicle or in the house, but some of this legislation has gone way too far. I'm waiting to be told I cant be white anymore.

Crowderfarms":1qt7toxy said:
I whole heartedly agree that kids have a right to breathing clean air, and you're a dumbass if you smoke with them in a vehicle or in the house,

Good post.

I am a smoker but don't do those 2. I am simply a DA for still smoking.

Sounds a lot like the laws our state passed a couple of years ago. Laws like this are much easier and safer to enforce than arresting drug addicts and dope pushers.

Seems politicians want to villainize tobacco use yet legalize and condone alternative life-styles.

Jogeephus":28skl16t said:
Sounds a lot like the laws our state passed a couple of years ago. Laws like this are much easier and safer to enforce than arresting drug addicts and dope pushers.

Seems politicians want to villainize tobacco use yet legalize and condone alternative life-styles.

I agree.

We could contain alot of the drug trafficing up here we I just went and lock down certain areas. The Law Enforcement Officials know what's going on.

It ain't gona happen.

I wish it could.

There's a lot more serious issues at hand such as Illegal Aliens, Dope, Crime, etc. than worrying about someone smoking out in the open like in a park, or outside a building.

Union Carbide and Dupont foul more air than a billion people smoking cigarettes at one time.

I never smoked. Lucky I guess, just never around it much. But I don't liked being told what I can and can not do. Seat belt laws really burn me.

Having said that NY has had a no smoking in public buildings law for several years and people seem find away to live with it. Folks that owned diners and bars cried foul and thought it would destroy their business. But they have survived. Although it is strange to drive past a bar about midnite and see people standing outside smoking and its -20 degrees. :shock:

Minnesota passed a very similar law that went into effect Oct. 1. There is no smoking in any building or close to any building anywhere, anymore. Sate and County offices you cannot smoke in your own vehicle in their parking lots either. I think there is an awful lot of big brother being able to tell us what to do, and it has to stop.

I no longer smoke either, but I do think that smokers should still have some rights.

Why don't we arrest the crack-heads down at the corner instead?

Crowderfarms":2vya6xkj said:
I quit smoking a year ago yesterday, BUTT I am against being told what to do in too many aspects by Government. I whole heartedly agree that kids have a right to breathing clean air, and you're a dumbass if you smoke with them in a vehicle or in the house, but some of this legislation has gone way too far. I'm waiting to be told I cant be white anymore.

May be a lot closer than you think........ :p ~~~~~

There are a lot of restrictive smoking laws starting Jan 1 in Fort Worth and surrounding places. As a former smoker, it doesn't bother me. I would like to think that those laws are not necessary. Smokers are gonna smoke.

Same here in Montana. You cannot take your kids into a bar that allows smoking and if you do the bar gets fined. Now how stupid can you get???
Some of the best places to eat are in these bars.
The state capitol is pushing to make it illeagal to even stand outside and smoke.
I watched both my grandparents and great aunt and uncle die from smoking related illnesses, but as my mother in law always told me nobody held a gun to any smokers head and it is their right as a free person to make their own choses. She had quit smoking.

Crowderfarms":436ncsbw said:
I'm waiting to be told I cant be white anymore.

Ooops, I missed that. Crowder I know how you feel. I'll save a place for you in the back of the bus. Watch out for them other folks up front cause they will trip you if you let them.:lol:

Jogeephus":mfi2t36x said:
Crowderfarms":mfi2t36x said:
I'm waiting to be told I cant be white anymore.

Ooops, I missed that. Crowder I know how you feel. I'll save a place for you in the back of the bus. Watch out for them other folks up front cause they will trip you if you let them.:lol:
Jo, make sure it's a window seat. I'd hate to get car sick on someone. :shock:

Latest posts