Time period to graft a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
As my post in the Breeding/Calving Issues indicated, I lost my first calf of the season :( . The calf died on Monday AM, I do not when it was born, maybe Fri or Sat (found it Sun PM). When will it be too late to attempt to graft a calf on the ma? Would say Fri be too late? Just trying to gauge how long I have to get one, as I don't have one readily available but may find one in the next few days. This may be a topic that has already been discussed - it just dawned on me that I probably should have searched first, but maybe some folk will have some quick thoughts & experiences.

Friday would be pushing it, but it depends a lot on the cow. Her milk and maternal both play a role.

dun

like dun said it depends on both the milk and the cow. as far as acceptance goes some cows will accept a calf within a day and some may take 2 weeks or more (if ever). In your case the milk part is what i wouldnt be concerned about the most unless you have been milking her out. by about the 5th day they will normally have pretty much stopped milking. i have had some that had stopped come back into milk very good and others that came back in but didnt milk enough to do much more than sustain the calf. the long away she is away from a calf the harder it will probably be to graft one on her. (*disclaimer this info regarding beef cattle only)

I agree....depends on the cow.

I had a heifer this past spring who lost her calf. (Born early in the extreme cold and I didnt catch it soon enough... :( ) I found an orphan calf 4 days later over at a neighbors...got em together in the head gate, let the calf suck the heifer down twice a day for 6 weeks. (Heifer would kick, butt, the calf if not in the headgate or tied up) I finally gave up on her. Three weeks later I lost a second calf...brought that hiefer up and she took to that same orpan calf like it was her own. Crazy.

My experience has been the cow will start drying up if you don't get one drafted in 3 days or so. If you'll milk the cow, you can at least prolong her milk production until you can get a calf. Of course, you still don't know how easily the cow will accept an orphan.

A fresh cow that didn't not have any problems after calving will come back into milk really easily. I'd say a week should be alright where she'll still have SOMETHING for the calf.

Latest posts