Time of day for cutting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefmaker

Reaction score
I've read that cutting hay in the afternoon gives you hay with a higher nutrient content due to the plants photosynthesis during daylight. Has anyone seen any detailed studies of this process? For example, is it better to cut at 10:00 AM vs Midnight? Any info would be appreciated.

put me in the "starts after noon" crowd.
did the bale at night thing for awhile also (different area).
imo both made since

When its late july and I'm still cutting 1st cutting, I cut anytime I can get in the field. We got another 2 inches of rain saturday. Most of the nutrients are gone anyway.

Have spent many 18 hour days cutting, from 0900 - 2330 usually before I pack it in. You gotta get it off when you can here if attempting to make dry hay.

We just wait until dew is mostly off because machine plugs less and you can move quicker anyways. I don't doubt the research but I wish we had the luxury of choosing a time frame.

In the Mojave we cut all night and baled all night. Only time the stuff wasn;t so dry that we lost the leaves.

dun

Dry tough hay will cut better and faster if it has due on it. I like to cut in the AM just after the dew is off but most time in Bahia grass I cut early am with the due on it. It just cuts better.

I wish I could remember but I was told it is better to cut in the am during a certain part of the year. Then it is better to cut late in the day the rest of the time. I'll try to remember to check with my county agent and see if he was the one who told me.

It's true. Sugar levels peak in late afternoon going into EARLY evening. Peak photosynthesis for the day has taken place and is tapering off as the sun gets lower in the sky and the plant has stored as much sugar as possible for metabolism overnight. Unlike us, plants can't get up for a midnight snack! So, they 'eat a big supper' to hold them to breakfast, so to speak. And, like our blood sugar levels, plant sugar levels are lowest in the early morning before breakfast. Additionally, the plant's stomates are usually closed in noon- early afternoon time frame because of the heat of the day. The stomates open in early morning to release oxygen and take in carbon dioxide (releasing water vapor is a usually undesired byproduct of the stomates being open) and then close as the heat of the day comes on to minimize water loss. Then they open again later in the afternoon to release oxygen and absorb more carbon dioxide when the evapotranspiration rates are lower because the sun is lower in the sky. Cutting in early morning or late evening usually allows the hay to dry faster because the plant opens the stomates for gas exchange and when it is cut, the stomates stay open for awhile, and that undesired moisture loss from the stomates speeds the wiltdown of the plant. Cutting in early morning though, results in less sugar in the plant, than higher sugar levels for the overnight plant metabolism that is present in early evening.

I've read of some studies that show that well fed cattle, given a choice between hay cut in the morning to noontime period or hay cut in the late afternoon- early evening period will choose late afternoon or evening cut hay nearly every time, assuming the hay is of equal quality. Unlike the old butter/margarine commercials, cows can tell the difference.

Now, that being said, the old axiom "make hay while the sun shines" is good advice, if conditions are unfavorable or risk becoming unfavorable as they usually do. I guess it depends on the situation. If I were growing hay in a dry climate with little chance of inclement weather interfering with hay quality, I would probably shoot to cut in the late afternoon-early evening time frame. But if weather is an issue, it's cut it whenever you can and hope you have enough time to get it dried and rolled or in the barn before it rains you out again. Basically, if everything is perfect and you want to up the sugar content, shoot for late afternoon cutting. If the grass is over mature and quality is pretty shot anyway, and the weather is finally cooperating, I might try to cut in the afternoon to at LEAST get the sugar content up, even if the nutrition and digestibility are already shot. BUT it certainly isn't worth risking rain damage or losing the cut, or losing more digestibility or nutrients just to get a couple more points in the sugar category, either. So, as with most things, it depends on your situation at the time... :) Good luck! OL JR :)

To get past all the BS you cut hay when you can lay it on the the ground and you are going to have 3 or 4 days to dry and bale it .
Forget all the rest, you keep studying it and you will have a long face come winter.

Caustic Burno":35qa1kq5 said:
To get past all the BS you cut hay when you can lay it on the the ground and you are going to have 3 or 4 days to dry and bale it .
Forget all the rest, you keep studying it and you will have a long face come winter.

Well said. Cutting when you have 3-4 days to get it up and stored is the most important thing. A wise man once told me,"hay is the best quality it will ever be at the moment it is cut-- it's all downhill from there. How far downhill from there depends on how you do your job and how quickly you can get it dried and in the bale." This is very true. It is FAR more important to get the hay cut and baled properly and timely than what time of day it is cut. HOWEVER, the original question was if hay is better if cut at a certain time of day and the answer is 'yes' and there are reasons why. I wouldn't call that BS. It certainly isn't the most important factor in cutting hay by a longshot but it IS a factor, and if everything else is going well, why not take advantage of it to make your hay a bit better? Haymaking, as all agriculture and most of life for that matter is making decisions about tradeoffs based on the situation you happen to be in at the time and place. OL JR :)

I will push to try and cut at optimum feed values if I put up baleage.

You are spending enough on plastic/wrapper etc..that it makes sense to get all the quality you can. And usually the quantities cut at a time are manageable.

When it comes to dry hay, still not done first cut, rain forecast all week. Some of second cut going downhill, over-mature.Trying to stay rested because it will be a marathon if we get a break in the rain. Sure wish I could send you folks in the droughted areas some rain, we went through it last year.

Latest posts