Time for a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
The Pops and I are building a new corral to work the cows. We've got our layout figured. Now we're trying to decide on the squeeze we're going to go with. I'm curious what y'all prefer.

I see lots of folks use Priefert. They look as though they could be built stouter to me.

On Craigslist i've been seeing chutes by C&B. We really like how stout it appears to be. Was curious as to yalls thoughts.

Heres the one i like the looks of. But not sure.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/grq/6209727903.html

Ive only used prieferts that neighbors own. So i don't know the pros or cons of any of them.

Anyone know a good place to get a chute? Or know of any used in good shape for sale?

We want to stay under 3k. Would be nice to stay under 2k.

Steer me the route i need to go. Is the neck door unnecessary?

In my opinion, Prieferts are plenty stout. I have one that was built in 1974 that is still going strong.

"Comes with a One Year warranty".

Not very confident its going to hold up are they? Priefert are life time guaranteed no questions asked.

It has lots of good features, but I am not a fan of self-catch head gates. IMO, they work best with wilder cows than I prefer to have. But, I have never owned one, just seen them worked.
Priefert is top line.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":exvfsf7e said:
It has lots of good features, but I am not a fan of self-catch head gates. IMO, they work best with wilder cows than I prefer to have. But, I have never owned one, just seen them worked.
Priefert is top line.
I use the Priefert self catch a lot. When I'm by myself and the cow is reluctant to step forward. I set the auto catch then go and crank her tail.

A squeeze chute is a great investment. The Co-op may have models set up for sale, or in the back you can look at different features on. You might look up the brand you are interested in and see the nearest dealer. They should have some to display. ive seen more Prieferts than anything else around here, and only heard good things. We've got a For-Most, and have been pleased with it so far. You don't have to have it, but the neck door sure makes access for shots a lot easier.

I'm a small time operation. I bought the Priefert Cattle Cage. It is much cheaper, but I have been very pleased with it. The only down side is with smaller calves. They can turn around in the cage and frustrate the heck out of you, but with some patience, it all works out. Definitely a product for small timers like myself. I could see why guys with a lot of cattle or working their bulls would prefer the squeeze.

I bought a used Powder River chute several years ago. Its one of the economy models and I made it work for a few years. The squeeze works fine but I had issues with the self catch on several occasions. Had a narrow shoulder cow slip through and caught her by the hips. I had to disassemble the chute to get her free. Luckily she was a calm cow. After that I ordered a Priefert head catch only. I cut the Powder River head gate off and welded the Priefert on to Powder River squeeze chute. As someone said, the Priefert has a self catch mechanism too but its way better than the swing gate type head catches.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1iaq3wha said:
Priefert is top line.

I have the Priefert SO4. I set the headgate for self catch. My cows are extremely docile. They walk in and rarely set off the self catch but they do stick their heads through. I simply walk up and flip the lever that releases the guillotine stop and the head is caught.

That's a big difference in weight. Would it be the material used just isn't as heavy duty maybe?

We are keeping our eyes out for a used priefert in decent shape. Been reading about Priefert refurbishing for a good price. Hard to argue with their customer service/feedback.

If anyone runs across one within a couple hour drive i'd be stoked to hear about it.

Thanks.

ClinchValley":6dlj4awz said:
That's a big difference in weight. Would it be the material used just isn't as heavy duty maybe?

We are keeping our eyes out for a used priefert in decent shape. Been reading about Priefert refurbishing for a good price. Hard to argue with their customer service/feedback.

If anyone runs across one within a couple hour drive i'd be stoked to hear about it.

Thanks.
I couple of years ago we replaced our smaller 10 year Priefert with the larger one. Sold the smaller one at a farm auction and they paid 100 less then they could have bought a new one. Around here anyway, Prieferts just don;t lose value.

Priefert S04 is awesome! Easy to operate and a great YouTube video on it!

It's a solid investment. I abuse my priefert model 85, and they still stand behind the warranty. If you can find a used stationary for $1500 or portable for $2000 it's a fair price, depending on your area :2cents:

All we have are a couple of headgates, one with a door that swings open on one side. Have the self catching ones and one that we catch them with. Prefer the one I have to manually catch them. Our cows are mostly pretty quiet and I can't get the self catching ones to catch the cows as they seldom hit it hard enough.

Latest posts